PING: Walking NEC wizards sub: Panel Ground wire

ok, after putting on a #4 ground to the outside rods AND to the plumbing inside, my local city inspector says the wire has to be in conduit anywhere it's in close contact with concrete. I totally missed this in the code. Can someone cite this for me? The reason i went with the #4 is because the book said it didnt' need conduit for physical protection. I never saw any mention of concrete or electrolisys.

thanks

Reply to
Steve Barker LT

The inspector may be referrring to NEC 250.62:

Grounding Electrode Conductor Material.

The grounding electrode conductor shall be of copper, aluminum, or copper-clad aluminum. The material selected shall be resistant to any corrosive condition existing at the installation or shall be suitable protected against corrosion. The conductor shall be solid or stranded, insulated, covered, or bare.

Concrete is corrosive to copper.

Reply to
Erik Dillenkofer