I'm considering putting in a patio roof attached to the house. It will
have typical composition shingles to match the existing roof. I'm just
doing some background investigation on costs, feasibility, etc. I'd
like a hip roof (don't think that makes a difference) about 13 ft
square. I was hoping to put up only two posts. I'm located in Central
TX - freezing is not a problem.
I will build a deck under the patio, but will make it completely
self-standing - the load from the deck will not need to be added to load
on the roof posts. The deck will likely come before the patio roof, so I
don't want to tie the two projects together. I might pour the roof post
piers at the same time I build the deck.
1) What size posts? I was thinking 6x6 would be enough (I know this
needs to be calculated out). The posts will be about 9' long from the
tops of the piers to the beams.
2) What size beam would be required between the two posts?
3) What size beam would be required from the posts to the existing wall
header. Probably the same size?
4) It is possible or likely that the existing wall header will need to
be beefed up? One beam will be right over a patio door and the other
over a set of windows.
4) What diameter piers would be required for the posts and what depth?
I'll get an engineer, inspections, permit, etc, but I would like to have
some background info before I talk to anyone. Or possibly rule out the
project before I spend any money on it.
Hopefully, I didn't forget any pertinent details.