Parents - Be aware of Contractor Discrimination

Garden State Brickface in Roselle, New Jersey was selected to bid on a large home improvement project. Upon confirming the time for the contractor bid appointment, I was asked if I was married and if both spouses would be present during the estimate which would take between 60 and 90 minutes.

I explained that although we would both be home, because we have small children and an infant that is breast feeding, my wife would need to excuse herself during the bid to feed the baby. The agent stated that this arrangement simply would not be possible. She explained that she could not confirm the appointment unless both spouses were going to be present for the entire appointment. I explained, again, that the only way we could both be present for the entire appointment would be for us to hire a babysitter at the last minute.

Our small children need parental supervision and our baby needs to feed at the breast regularly. Still, the agent stubbornly refused to be a human being and did not budge on this issue. I had no choice but to politely request that our name and number be removed from your customer list and then end the call.

I was denied service simply because I have a family with young children that need the constant supervision and care of their parents. The contractor's decisions not to provide my family services were discriminatory. My advice is to steer clear of this contractor for your home improvement needs if you live in the NYC/Philadelphia/NJ Metro areas.

Reply to
jerseysprouts