Painting of Paneling

Does anyone have experience with covering paneling with paint or wall paper? The job is in a large great room, 30' x 18' with paneling on all walls and wall to wall carpet on the floor. I've gotten conflicting suggestions at paint stores and home centers.
We are planning to install hardwood on about half the room and the rest with new carpet. The paneling is in excellent conditions but our concern is will the paneling and the hardwood clash? If so, then painting the walls becomes a must and likely a very messy task with spackling, taping the joints, sanding, etc. There is wall board behind the paneling. So other options are to remove the paneling or cover the paneling with 1/4 to 3/8 wall board.
Thanks, John
I can't really comment on the painting part. We're just now doing this ourselves for the first time in a rental house. HOWEVER, I can tell you from a previous home, that the sheetrock behind your paneling may very well be installed backwards. That is, inside out. Ours was, and from what I understand, this was/is a signal to the sheetrock finisher, and the painters, that the wall is getting paneling. Ours had a very rough tape and finish job on it and we had to have the entire surface skim coated. It was well worth it to get rid of the paneling. Keep in mind also, if you remove the paneling, you may have to retrim the doors and windows, and your switches and outlets may need attention also. depending on how far out the boxes are set.
--
Steve Barker

"John A Reichert" < snipped-for-privacy@bellsouth.net> wrote in message

Only if you pick colors of stain that clash.
If so, then painting the walls becomes

Not necessarily. See above.
--

MichaelB