Painting exterior stucco spray or roll?

Page 2 of 2

Billy Pilgrim wrote:

OK. I moved them here...

He is citing someone that says it encourages dry rot. There is nothing to rot on a masonry house.

What about it? The author is explaining lime wash. If someone wants to use it that is fine with me.

He is a contractor peddling something; namely..."We use an acrylic, water repellant coating product that is made specifically for cement." IOW, acrylic "varnish".
If he put color in his "acrylic, water repellant coating product" he would have a transparent, colored coating. If he put in something opaque too he would have paint. __________________

Promise?
--

dadiOH
____________________________

when you reccomend painting, do you ask if the house is a masonary house?

It also expalins the difficulties of working with stucco that has been painted. Common problem when people want to get the job done right.

You missed this page
http://www.chicagostucco.com/recoat.html

Only in regards to your rebuttals
BTW: I found these websites in a matter of minutes. There is an overwhelming amount of information with regards to stucco.
Just think of it this way. Stucco soaks up water. When the stucco gets wet it becomes very hard for the paint to adhere.
Of course there are all the other reasons but I grow tired of going over and over them. I'm not being rude it's just the truth.
You really don't seem like that bad of a guy. There were a couple of flamers that got involved in this and you stepped in it.
Really, if you feel you are right fine. But be aware, there is another side to the story when you give advice. I lived in NM for 40+ years. I've seen 1000 upon 1000 of stucco houses. I've seen them painted and recoated. Recoated ALWAYS looks better and is more professional looking.
Sorry. That's just the way it is. Nothing you say is going to change that.
:-)
Billy Pilgrim wrote:

Don't give up now, Billy Boy...you are on the verge of becoming a HERO! Continue your crusade...convince the millions of US homeowners that live in CB houses covered with painted stucco that they screwed up big time...educate the builders that are churning out this stupidity even as we speak. (Maybe talk to a lawyer about a class action suit against the builders. Toss in the building departments that permit this perfidy too).
And when you finish the US, learn Spanish and carry your crusade to Mexico, Central America and South of America where there are 10s of millions more - virtually ALL houses - of those painted abominations . By the time you finish there, China will be rich enough to have started stuccoing and will have painted THEIR houses and buildings so study Mandarin at night while you are saving the Hispanic world.
No, don't stop, continue - you have found your life's work. Once you become an adult.
--

dadiOH
____________________________

If it's exterior. It's going to get wet. If you paint it you can't recoat. The cost of recoating isn't that much more than repainting AND you can hire someone to do it. So get a case of beer and watch. If you paint you're much too likely to do it yourself. Plus the recoat looks better and lasts longer. It's a no brainier.
As Wilbur Grimly says: "It's the right thing to do."

Damn. I guess I didn't see 50 years of people painting stucco and fences houses in Las Vegas, Nevada. Thanks for straightening that out for me.
Steve

http://www.bobvila.com/HowTo_Library/Refinishing_Stucco-Stucco_Walls-A2557.html
http://www.lime.org/BLG/Mold.pdf
http://www.chicagostucco.com/faq.html
Maybe they will listen to your tale of woe.
Can't teach an old dog new tricks.
Paint ur stucco loser.

I'm done with you, loser. Into the killfile with you.
Steve

I live in a 55 year old painted stucco house. There is zero problem with paint adhesion and zero problems with mold.
The wood trim however is a real bitch to paint as it is always peeling so it requires a lot of prep work.
--

Roger Shoaf

I had to sleep on this one. :-)
I think (I don't know) that paint will stick to stucco. I'm also thinking it will stick pretty good provided it stays dry.
I think when Chicago Stucco says paint (latex) doesn't adhere well to cement it really means flat surface cement and they are trying to stretch the truth a bit. My gut tells me paint will adhere fine to rough stucco texture provided it stays dry.
Okay so the obvious question is : If the wall never gets wet is it okay to stucco? e.g.: house with eaves and dry climate.
Here, IMHO, I still say *I wouldn't*
1st) How do I know it will not get wet?
2nd) Once you paint you're boxed in. Recoating is pretty much out of the question.
3rd) Why would you need to recoat?
Sub 1. Recoating is more attractive if done right,
Sub 2. Much better at repairing cracks and missing stucco
Sub 3. Better at restricting mold. (Which may/may-not not be seen)
Sub 4. All the other reasons recoating is better.
Thanks for not flaming me. I have BP issues I'm constantly monitoring. :-), A flamer's dream!

My walls get wet both when it rains and when the sprinklers hit. I suspect the problems you are worried about stem from the imitation stucco that was the results of the lawsuits a while back. Stucco has been used as an exterior coating for a long time with great results.
The real stucco I am referring to is put on in three coats and ends up about 7/8" thick. The fake stucco is sprayed on and is about 1/8" thick.
Crack repair in real stucco can be done if needed, but if the house is built on a good foundation, there is not much reason for it to crack in the first place.
--

Roger Shoaf

Billy Pilgrim wrote:

It sticks even if it doesn't stay dry. ______________

1. Get in a car
2. Drive until you find a concrete highway
3. Look at the road
See those lines along the sides and/or middle? That's paint. I have no idea if it is water or oil base paint but either would work. And roads get wet. ____________________

With all your concern about "wet" and you living in NM, I'm still wondering if you are actually talking about adobe rather than stucco. Adobe is mud. Mud with sand and an organic material like straw. Mud does not do well with lots of rain. Stucco has a Portland cement base. Stucco laughs at rain. _________________

Good thing because I, for one, would not want to do so. Either the existing stucco would have to be removed - a horrendous job - or cleaned *really* well. In the latter case, you'd wind up with walls another 3/4" or so thicker. Might be OK, might not. Not if it covers up stuff like hose bibs.
I keep thinking you may be talking about cementacious paint when you talk about recoating. It dries hard like stucco but is not stucco - its paint with a cement binder.
--

dadiOH

pushing it. but in houses with no eaves you really don't want to paint because the parapet is completely exposed to the elements.
i don't think the city uses latex on the roads :)
make sure your wall stays dry.