Outside Christmas LED Lights -- dull and weak....

Page 2 of 2
Will look at Ace Hardware... had not thought of that...
thanks
James
James wrote:
[snip]

I have some of those, and even some C9 LED ones. They have plastic shells, which contain the same single LED as the miniature ones. They aren't very bright, although the color is good.

The wal-mart here seems to have plenty of REAL C7 and C9 lights (unless they've sold out by now).
[snip]
--
14 days until The winter celebration (Saturday December 25, 2010
12:00:00 AM).
Mark Lloyd wrote:

Merry Christmas, Lights, Camera, Shopping!

You believe in Christmas (Christ's Mass)...isn't that being hypocritical, sir?

Dont know if its the same problem you had but two years ago I put out some "white" LED lights and they were dull dim yellow in reality. I discovered this is because they only run on one half of each AC cycle so they are ON only 50% 0f the time. I corrected this problem using a bridge rectifer mounted in a quad outlet box. The only problem with this scheme is that the lights are polarity sensitive and wont come on at all if plugged in the wrong way(rotate light string plug 180 degrees). Otherwise the lights are much more brighter and vivid.
Jimmie
On 12/11/2010 10:37 AM, James wrote:

I was just in Target. And before I even got to the LEDs the first string I saw were C9 red incandescents.
Jeff

The incondecent holiday lights are not big sellers for residential use anymore so many retail stores no longer carry them (some carry the minis - Sears). Incondescents also require more than double the warehousing space, there is lots of bulb breakage, and there are many returns, but they are still readily available on line... there are quite a few web sites, here's one: http://www.christmaslightsetc.com/C7-C9-Bulbs.asp
I no longer use the incondescents, in fact a few years ago I tossed lots of strings of them into the trash.... I didn't feel bad at all as each season more than half those bulbs burn out so the ones I tossed were very close to dying. I now use all LEDs; my electric bill increase for the holiday season is barely noticeable, but most importantly LEDs are far safer (no heat). And the new LEDs are very bright and very colorful... even using 2-3 times as many hardly affects electric useage. In fact I've been using LEDs for five years now and not even one bulb has burned out. Now I'm waiting for the solar LEDs to come down in price. If someone offered me the incondescents for free I'd not take them. I think the LEDs look much nicer too, nore twinkly, far more aesthetically pleasing than those olde tyme clunky incondescents. The LEDs are easier to put up too, they don't need to be orientated, with incondescents unless the bulbs are all pointed in the same direction they look awful.
On Mon, 13 Dec 2010 09:48:00 -0500, Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:

They (mini incandescents) are available everywhere here, usually in more varieties than LEDs. I don't like LEDs, much. The flicker is annoying (the PF has to be horrid) and the "white" ones are really ugly.

I toss the strings every few years but I have enough to last a long time. I buy them after Christmas for about $1 per string. I have 20 strings, or so, that I haven't opened yet.

Of course you ignore the cost of the LED strings.

Nonsense. You're making excuses to justify your expense.

You *really* are forgetting the cost of the lights.

Solar LEDs? <guffaw>

Choice is a good thing.

More nonsense.
On 12/13/2010 7:47 PM, snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz wrote:

The mini incandescents are particularly inefficient. About 40W or so/ 100 string.
Run that for a few weeks most all the time and you've easily got $2/string. The incandescents were always a pain to keep them all going and usually easier to throw away. IMHO, the advantage in cost and time is LEDs.
Now, I don't like the larger c9 or so LED lamps as it is just one little light in a shell (what I've seen). The hot lamps are some power gluttons though and storage was always more hassle. Mine rarely get used as a result.

The minis (hot lamps) are pretty harmless, the larger sizes require caution. The cause of many many a house fire at one time.
I'm not sad to see the mini incs fading away. The others I'm more sentimental over. Efficiency isn't everything. XMAS is all about throwing money away, after all. Up to a limit.
Jeff

More like 25W.

What exactly does "a few weeks most of the time" mean? 25W, five hours a day for a month costs about thirty-five cents.

I bought about $150 wroth of those two years ago. *UGLY*. I threw them away when I took them off the house, and bought thirty, or so, sets of incandescent lights for 1/5 what I paid for the LED strings.

Ya gotta talk apples to apples.

Except they're not fading away at all. Economics isn't with LEDs, at least not yet.
[snip]

I suppose you're taking about the white ones. They're "ugly" only only if you're used to the light yellow (of incandescents) instead.
BTW, you might know that yellow is almost the same color as brown.
Anyway, we need more colors (and those LEDs are much better). All those white (or light yellow) displays are too boring.
[snip]
--
8 days until The winter celebration (Saturday December 25, 2010 12:00:00
AM).

Mark Lloyd

Lowes, today, had a bunch of them. They had more incandescent types than LED.

I just saw this post. Where are you located? I have seen them at stores around here. I'm pretty sure I saw them at Lowes. I know I saw them at Target.
I have a bunch of incandescent sets that I never used (C7 and C9). I
On 12/11/2010 10:37 AM, James wrote:

We have a number of really tasteful Christmas light displays, in the neighborhood and in the little town across the river. There are not too many of the tradtional lights around but they manged to find some. health and energy kept ours to just lights in the windows this year. Hope you found what you were looking for. Merry Christmas. how do you get those stubborn reindeer hoof divots out of the lawn?
Lil Abner wrote:

---> http://www.latimes.com/news/printedition/front/lat-cariboumo_k6fqg3nc20080831045251,0,3651452.photo