Outisde attic access w/vinyl siding

Is it possible to put vinyl siding over a hinged attic access in the gable end of a home? Seemed pretty straight forward till I realized the

2 J channels at the hinged seam would crush each other when the door was opened. The only workarounds I can think of are ugly hacks.

HS

Reply to
hobosalesman

If those "ugly hacks" are painted the same color as the siding, the only person who will ever see them is you. And after a week you will forget they are even there. You are making a problem where no problem exists.

Reply to
JerryD(upstateNY)

use a wider hinge where the pin is outside the j channel.

Reply to
longshot

Unbelievable... the number of times I've put a hinge in a vise to make it fit, and I never thought of this. Must have been a "forest for the trees" kind of thing.

Thanks!

Reply to
hobosalesman