OT: Saw this truck sitting on the interstate the other day

This thing was truley one of the most impressive pieces of equipment I have seen. In the configuration I saw it I counted over 80 tires. The power unit in the rear was pretty nifty as well. Thought some of you may find it interesting.

I cant imagine what the dual lane rig must look like running down the road.

Mark

Reply to
M&S

How'd you like to back up that thing?

Reply to
Chas Hurst

Can we assume that they didn't load it with a fork lift?

Reply to
Glenn

Milwaukee, Wisconin -- used to be -- the world's center of massive industrial equipment design and manufacturing. Then the city was plagued by decades of socalist Mayors one of whom had signs erected (denied) along the highways inviting Negros to apply for welfare in Milwaukee. The rest is history.

This thing was truley one of the most impressive pieces of equipment I

Reply to
clintonG

depends.

Reply to
Steve Barker

Granted.

Reply to
Glenn

Steve Barker wrote:

Depends on what? There is likely no way a truck like this is loaded with a fork lift or lift(s). If it was loaded with multiple small lifts totaling the 160 tons it would be astronomically cheaper to separate the material into dozens of smaller shipments. These type trucks are used for material that _can not_ be broken down into smaller shipments for economic or practical reasons. That is why they exist in the first place. There would be no use for the exorbitant heavy highway taxes, transit fees, costly state police escorts, scouting of the route, timing of transit (certain times of the day/night), private escort equipment, and so on, not to mention the cost of the equipment itself. If the material could practically and economically broken down into smaller shipments it would be. The trucks are likely loaded by crane or crane(s) working in unison or no crane at all. Considering that NASA has one of the largest fork lifts in the world (the PGHM) and the shuttles total capacity (not a single load) is 55,000 lbs (27.5 tons) this would equate to 6 of these forklifts working together to load the truck and 8 of them to load the dual lane. Once you break standard over the road shipping container weights you are likely talking about crane or cranes loading or no crane at all. What is more likely is the cargo may never be lifted in the first place. It would be built with allowance for the transportation equipment to be moved under the unit (built on stantions of some sort) and then unloaded the same way.

Mark

Reply to
M&S

Oh take a strain. Surely you know we're teasing.

Reply to
Glenn

I found the response pretty interesting.

Reply to
crhras

Have you ever heard the song "doin the strain" ?

Mark

Reply to
M&S

Commonly referred to as a "Gooseneck".

Years ago in Cincinnati, they had one move a huge box from the river to a company up in the northern section of the county. The route was well planned. The newspaper dubbed it "Superload". It took 4 hours to move it the first 1,000 feet because they got stuck in snow! The routing would take the "parade" somewhat near our house, so I planned on climbing our 100 ft radio tower and take a few pictures as it went by. To cold to climb. So I went up to take a closer peek as it went by. They had escorts after escorts front and rear. The gas company had "sniffers" front and rear. The phone company had trucks that would move any low hanging wires.

The planned day long move took 2 and a half days.

Reply to
richard