Only 8" to neighboring house. How can I redo my siding?

Hi,
There are only 7-8" between my house and the neighboring house and I wondering if anyone has a good suggestion how to apply new siding to the entire wall (40' x 22'). Thanks in advance.
Kurt,

I find that situation hard to believe as it would not be possible to fit tools (hammers, nailers, paint brushes, etc.) in that space to build the wall in the first place. Not to mention, the person doing the work would never fit between the buildings. Around here (WA State), detached buildings must be at least 8 FEET away from each other (mostly for fire control).
But, I will play devil's advocate for a minute and assume what you say is true. Perhaps the walls were built, sided, and painted before tilting into place. Or maybe the buildings were constructed off-site and hoisted in place with a crane.
In that case, I would probably try to join the two buildings, adding foundation, walls, roofing, and whatever fire control measures were necessary. Basically treat it as a multi-residence building (like apartments, condos, duplexes, etc.).
Anthony

Maybe this will help: http://groups.google.com/group/alt.building.construction/browse_thread/thread/46b02b3a09355a3d #
Don't start new threads with the same question. Post pictures and give full details. If you want information and advise, give up the information first. In other words, stop dicking around, grab a camera and start providing the existing construction details so people won't be guessing at what's going on. Otherwise you're just wasting your and other people's time.
Sounds like San Francisco. I think that is what you referred to in your last post.
It is a tough situation. The only advise I give is start at the bottom and work up. Using a rightangle drill/screw gun....preferably hammer drill type, and torque drive stainless screws I would strip the wall down, using felt in rows with at least a 1" overlap, put a piece of felt in say 2" larger than siding type and put in the first layer of siding. (side note: using a 9' roll of builders wrap-use it like a paper towel roll and hang it from above-roll it up as you cover the wrap.....)
You have to use shiplap, or V-Rustic, or tongue and groove. A hardi product would work well. It would be fire resistant. A 7" to the weather siding/cement product. You may have to provide shear panel on interior after the exterior siding is done. I am really pulling at straws here......... I also thought of a masonary unit wall. start with a foundation and set the first course of block in. go for 4' lifts and fill the cells with concrete.use re-bar.....this also sounds darn difficult. You are in a pickle. jloomisconstruction and concrete

jloomis wrote the following:

Did you miss the 7 -8" inches between walls? I'm 6'2" and 175 lbs. and my chest from back to breast is about 10".

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Bill, Loomis gave a reasonable reply and never mentioned fitting a body between the houses. His advice, as with everyone else's was that you'd be reaching though the studs to do the work - a major pain in the ass. But you already know that.
I'm not sure why a regular is using a different screen name to post a question, but what I said earlier still goes. Post some pictures, give some details on the existing construction - sheathing, studs, etc. - and we'll see what's what.
RicodJour wrote the following:

Sorry, missed that part about working from inside. I canceled my response.
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

jloomis wrote the following:

Sorry, I canceled the response message after RicodJour advised me you were working from the inside.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY