On-Your-Lot Home Builder in Northern Virginia

Sorry for the cross-posting. I'm completely new to this and I don't know where to begin.
My wife and I are investigating the possibility of purchasing a lot in our neighborhood and building a house. So I'm writing to ask for referrals for on-your-lot home builders in the northern Virginia area. We're not looking for anything terribly fancy or customized; just a nice, new home in our neighborhood. We live in western Fairfax County, if that helps.
We're also interested in the possibility of building a modular home. So referrals to modular home builders are also welcome.
Like I said, we're just beginning this process, so I'm open to any and all advice.
Thanks in advance, Bill Woessner

Generally speaking you would normally buy the lot, hire an architect to design a house and draw up plans, and then solicit bids from builders and contractors. There are of course design-build companies out there if that is what you are looking for. You should own the lot first before planning so that your new home can be designed to fit the site.

If O.P. does not yet own a lot, an architect might help choose one. Not all lots are equally suited to a given set of desires. T
On Mon, 11 Jun 2007 19:40:59 -0400, "John Grabowski"

Or at least have an option to buy the lot...