Old Garage Concrete Floor-Tile it or......

I have an old concrete floor. The client wants to put a finish floor on it. The concrete was rodded off, and that is it.....Rough saw like ridges. I plan to: 1. Clean it well 2. Install self furring mesh 3. Apply a concrete primer adhesive to the existing floor. 4. Float a 6 sack concrete mix with plaster sand @ about 1 1/2" 5. Use a ditra mat on that....thinset it, then tile on that. Or......... Install a floating wood floor on it.
Any suggestions would be appreciated and we are not planning to remove the concrete. Also living in a "rural" area makes it diffiicult to get a specialty concrete contractor with a "self leveling" floor system. the area is about 14 x 23. It is an old garage, and the concrete is stable, rough, and does have a vapor barrier under. hummmmmmm? jloomis

What is the garage going to be used for?
office.... Turning a garage into an attorneys library office. jloomis

I'd consider a 'thin' coat of whatever, then a floating floor, perhaps Pergo (or similar). The vapor barrier will help protect it, and I take it we are talking above grade (well drained?)
Then they could use throw rugs to help keep the sound levels down perhaps?
Yeah, I think that is my aim. The grade is "ok" but not the best. I am doing some landscaping to help in that matter. Thanks, johnl

Engineered oak?
I like that also. I will see what the clients budget is. We were planning 12" x12" nice looking tile.....(granite look/grey and redbrwn rock colors) jloomis

I installed a floating tile floor over concrete a few years ago, It's similar to Pergo wood flooring, but it's actual tiles that are glued to a thin pressed board substrate. They interlock with each other to provide stability. I believe it was called "Edge flooring" (edgeflooring.net) It's held up well and easy to put down, especially on concrete.
-rlz