Okay to have different window styles?

Is it okay to mix different window styles? Our house we're building has all double-hung windows, but some are 6-over-6 panes and some are 9-over-9 panes. Is that a no-no? Looks alright to me, but I want to make sure we're not breaking some kind of "rule." I know there are no "rules," but still. Here's a link so you can see what I mean:
http://www.mynewoldhouse.com/house/images/FrontElevationLRG.gif
Also, when you look at the front elevation referenced above, do you think it would look better with 24" high railings instead of 36" high? We don't have to do 36" according to code since our porch floor is less than 2 feet off the ground. If we do 24" railings, do you think it would look good to move the window sills up to 24"? Currently the rough opening is 12" off the ground, which I'm starting to realize will be inconvenient for things like end tables. But mostly I want to do what looks good. But I can't decide. I need some input. Please help.
Thanks, John
On 05 Oct 2006, Sasquatch wrote

You're safe: it was normal in Georgian design to use graduated window sizes -- getting smaller on the upper floors, as in this design -- and to have fewer panes in the smaller windows.
Like this, of around 1730, which goes 15-12-6 on ground/first/second:
http://www.whhvs.webhop.net/temp/SaffronWalden.jpg

I'll leave advice on that to others, but if reducing the height of the ground-floor windows makes them about the same size as the first-floor ones, you should probably reduce the number of panes in the re-sized lower windows.
--
Cheers, Harvey
Architectural and topographical historian

Looks good to me. The lower windows being taller NEED extra lights. The normal configuration would be 6 over 9 in like circumstances but 9 over 9 look just fine to me. To look more uniform I would go with the 6/9 but It *is your* house. If the lower ones go all the way to the floor, doesn't look like it, then 9/9 would be the right configuration anyway. PS 9/9 harder to wash though.
I would leave the rail as is. Looks good and no one is going to trip over it although your fat relatives will sit on it so make it strong. :)

The windows and railing look fine. But, couldn't you carry the rock up to the second floor around the arched window? This would make for a grander entrance. Dezignare'

I agree that is a good idea and would punctuate the entrance much better.
Sasquatch wrote: ...

Consider if want chairs on your front porch? How much of the back of chairs do you want to see through your windows? You may want to choose your porch furniture and spec around that. If you like low chairs then go a low railing, so you can see over it easily. Ken

The panes of the window are just fine. doing ti any other way would not be normal or look good. Railing: Do not even consider using a 24" high railing. That would be an abomination. jojo

What you may have failed to notice is that the approx. size of each division (panes) is the same size WITH the two different lights over lights from bottom floor and top floor.
Also worth mentioning is that all things artistic, it's a matter of taste. Many are ruled by what has been done before but that is not a necessity. Having said that, though, it seems that most people are ruled by tradition (what is expected) and don't like to veer off the beaten path too much.

The individual lite size should be consistent, regardless of overall window width and height.
What do you know!
How's it goin' Don?

Fuckin democrats....arrrrr.... LOL, going good JD, long time no hear. Hope all is well!

JD alive?
It's DejaView all over again.
brudgers
JD wrote:

WTF are you up to brudgers?
Did you get a haircut and a real job?

"JD"

Reminds me of Bush telling Moore in one of his docu's to get a real job.
"...Would you like to swing on a star... Be a mobile phone or a car... Or would you rather be a mule?..."
-- Tom Ellard
I'd rather be a mule of course. :)