newb question about MITER SAWS

hi guys,

I'm thinking about purchasing a miter saw for occasional home use. If you don't mind, I wanted to ask you couple quick questions:

1) I noticed that some (but really not most) have "double bevel" feature, i.e. the blade can be angled to the horizontal plane both to the right AND left. - is this a "necessary" feature? In other words, is there some things that I can do with the double bevel saw that I cannot do with a regular "one-sided" one?

2) Is the laser guide a "useful function" worth spending the extra money?

3) In terms of "cutting capabilities" are all 10" blade saws the same? I.e. if one 10" in diameter of blade saw has certain "specs" (can cut up to example 2x4 etc...) does that automatically mean that all 10" blade saw can cut exactly the same?

thanks in advance; your input would be greatly appreciated.

Reply to
greg

no

Maybe for a newbe. For an old pro like myself, no

No but within reason, yes.

Reply to
Glenn

greg wrote on 07 Dec 2007 in group alt.building.construction:

It's a convenience only. You can cut from either side, so you won't have reposition the saw (as often) so the 16' piece of molding fits between the saw and the wall.

The one on my Ryobi is useless. It projects about 1/8" from the edge of the cut. Even if it was accurate, it's too wide to use. I need a knife mark, not something that looks like it was made with a dull pencil.

The housing around the blade has as much to do with capacity as does blade size. My 12" saw would be able to cut 6" baseboard if the housing was shaped a little differently.

You're welcome.

Reply to
Steve

A double-bevel is a convenience. Without it, you just have to turn the wood (crown molding, e.g. around). And that assumes you cut crown molding laying flat. If you cut CM angled in the saw, then you just need to miter it, and the bevel is irrelevant.

I don't have a laser, and don't wish I did. I doubt the line they produce is that sharp, and you can do just as well with your eye. I think they're a gimmick.

I have a 12", and am very glad I bought it. It will crosscut a 2x8 with no problem.

Reply to
Buck Turgidson

Get a 12". You don't need the laser.

Reply to