newb question about MITER SAWS

hi guys,
I'm thinking about purchasing a miter saw for occasional home use. If you don't mind, I wanted to ask you couple quick questions:
1) I noticed that some (but really not most) have "double bevel" feature, i.e. the blade can be angled to the horizontal plane both to the right AND left. - is this a "necessary" feature? In other words, is there some things that I can do with the double bevel saw that I cannot do with a regular "one-sided" one?
2) Is the laser guide a "useful function" worth spending the extra money?
3) In terms of "cutting capabilities" are all 10" blade saws the same? I.e. if one 10" in diameter of blade saw has certain "specs" (can cut up to example 2x4 etc...) does that automatically mean that all 10" blade saw can cut exactly the same?
thanks in advance; your input would be greatly appreciated.
"greg" <gstusio[at]hotmail[dot]com> wrote in message

no
Maybe for a newbe. For an old pro like myself, no

No but within reason, yes.

greg <gstusio[at]hotmail[dot]com> wrote on 07 Dec 2007 in group alt.building.construction:

It's a convenience only. You can cut from either side, so you won't have reposition the saw (as often) so the 16' piece of molding fits between the saw and the wall.

The one on my Ryobi is useless. It projects about 1/8" from the edge of the cut. Even if it was accurate, it's too wide to use. I need a knife mark, not something that looks like it was made with a dull pencil.

The housing around the blade has as much to do with capacity as does blade size. My 12" saw would be able to cut 6" baseboard if the housing was shaped a little differently.

You're welcome.
--
Steve B.
New Life Home Improvement