New England Homes, Inc. , New England Homes, NEH

My experience in purchasing a modular home from New England Homes, Inc., Greenland, NH is still ongoing. I would not recommend anyone to purchase a modular from New England Homes ( NEH ). We purchased a ranch (B) style and was delivered in May 2007 and its still not completed or passed occupancy permit yet. Many, many fire code and local code violations, many building items incorrectly installed. There was vinal siding falling off in July 2007 due to minimum nailing. Modular was not level or even fasten to the foundation sills as required. The (90 psf quote) snow load roof was acturally built as a 51.7 psf. Both ceiling's was noticable sagging about a month later (June 2007), along with the roof raftes sagging. There was rows ( 72') of roof shingles not even nailed which NEH failed to fasten. NEH does paints a perfect picture during ( factory /open house tour's, brochures and etc, sales people, e.g. Giff Hamill, Billie Hamill and etc)for the consumer's, but what you recieve, is a different story and can be a nightmare for you. Beware in even thinking about purchasing a New England modular home, you could get BURNED. They may not be built or even installed correctly as previously represented to you. You are welcome to take a tour of this New England Home and see for yourself.
Yours Truly firewoodguy.com
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Mon, 18 Aug 2008 17:26:38 -0700 (PDT), snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net wrote:

What is vinal siding? Is this a trade name?

Define 'minimum nailing'?

You need to understand how ground snow load and roof snow load are different, and how each relates to the other. I think your building inspector can help you there.

What is "both ceiling's"? What is a 'raftes'?

Posting peoples names, not matter how justified you feel, is monumentally stupid.

And NEH installed the home? Or did someone else?

OK, where is it?

Add pictures here
βœ–

***Reply; exterior siding that made of vinyl. Is this a trade name ? ***Reply; No,

***Reply ; 2 fasteners per 12' section vs manufactures installation instruction **

** Reply, The ground snow load of 90 psf was included in the orginal quote, but was built with a 65 psf ground snow load which represents 51.7 snow load. It was the Code official and the NH Fire Marshal that discovered it.

*** Reply; 13' x 15' clear span M/B room and 15' x 14' kitchen area. What is a 'raftes'? *** Reply; The what-cha-ma-call-it-things thats refered to as the top chords of the roof truss system.

*** Reply; I guess that I'm now labled as a monumentally stupid person

**Reply; NEH built the modular, NEH (set-crew) delivered and set the modular on the foundation and made it weather tight and the NEH contractor that was assigned to us by New England Homes,Inc., tried to finish assembling the modular, but failed to do so as per the guide lines set forth my NEH site referance manual. Or did someone else? *** Reply; N/A

*** Reply; Derry, NH. (03038) about 50 miles East of NEH factory in Greenland,NH.

PeterD, All these NEH modular defects are documented thought NH Fire Safety Marshal's Office (modular div) and Derry Building Code Department which I believe is public information for anyone to view. My posting on this forum, only represents my experience that I have with NEH. If you are still interested in purchasing a modular from NEH, you are welcome to do so. But beware of what could happen to you in purchasing a modular from NEH.
Yours Truly John
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Aug 21, 9:43 am, snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net wrote:

Pretty much.
βœ–
On Thu, 21 Aug 2008 06:43:52 -0700 (PDT), snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net wrote:

All I'm interested in is facts... We've heard your side of the story, you make convincing points (and your replies to me clarified some interesting points, too.)
At least here where I am (western NH) any building such as a modular or steel building must come with stamped engineers drawings and certifications. Didn't this building? If it did, and doesn't match the documentation, then I really recommend a court of law, not this court of public opinion. If the building does meet the engineer's specifications, and the building inspector(s) say the specifications are wrong, go after the engineer.
Add pictures here
βœ–

When you purchase a modular from New England Homes, Inc., you are assigned to an authorized NEH dealer/contractor to order the modular to your specifications. The modular is built to building code at the factory, but it's only about 80% completed. The modular is then shipped to the site with assembling instructions for the final (20%) onsite to be completed by the NEH dealer/contractor. This is where the problems occur when the NEH contractor fails to assemble the remaining modular assembling proceedure as outlined by NEH assembling instructions. Furthermore, NEH is not responsiable for any work or assembling proceedures after the modular left their plant/ factory. I'm not looking for any public opinion. We all ready recieved our legal advise. True, we can bring an action againt the NEH (LLC) contractor, but then you have to proceed to collect the judgement afterwards. I'm just letting consumer's to be aware in purchasing a NEH modular through a NEH authorized dealer/contractor. You may get burned as we did.
John
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Thu, 21 Aug 2008 18:17:59 -0700 (PDT), snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net wrote:

It seems to me that you got 'burned' by the dealer, and perhaps (big perhaps, I'm not sure) not by NEH.
Was the contractor licensed in NH? Did they have insurance? Did your contract with the contractor cover satisfaction? (Did you have a contract with that contractor? if not, then NEH is responsible if they contracted with them). I'd be very surprised if the contractor didn't have liability insurance (both they and NEH would be idiots to allow that to happen) and that insurance should pay any judgement you get against them.
Would you mind saying what the legal opinion basically said?
Add pictures here
βœ–

It's NEH that assigned the contractor to the consumer. It was NEH that advertises "..only quality craftsmanship from start to finish. It was NEH that advertises "..quality construction throughout the entire building cycle..". So whether NEH is totally responsible or the dealer or the on-site NEH builder / contractor is responsible, the bottom line is the consumer still suffer the un-finished modular defects throughout the litagation process. We discover at a later date, that the NEH dealer that was assigned to us, was not even registrated with the NH Secretary of State to conduct business. NEH stated in their brochures that their NEH contractors is "fully licensed and insured". We was told at the beginning that they (NEH dealer) was fully insured and had a million dollars liability coverage, but we never received the requested certificate of insurance from the NEH dealer/contractor. We now "assume" that the NEH dealer didn't have any insurance, due to the fact, insurance companies does not issue policies to un-registered, unknown or fraudulent businesses. I'm thankfull we didn't have any workman injury claims during this on-site modular assembling. Again, a consumer can't buy directly through New England Homes. NEH assignes the consumer through an authorized local dealer to purchase the complete custom modular and the contract is signed by the NEH dealer and the homeowner. It's unknown at this time who hire and paid for the on-site assembling of this modular. But New England Homes recieved and deposited our final payment of the total cost of the modular the day before delivery. NEH work repair orders stated the on-site contractor is different than our NEH dealer and furthermore, we never paid for assembling fees to our NEH dealer. So, it appears (via paper trail) , Someone hired and paid the on-site contractor to complete the assembling of the modular. The legal opinion basically is almost self explainatory. But this is not what my posting is about or looking for any public opinion. I'm letting the average consumer to "be aware" in purchasing a modular home from a new england homes authorized dealer, as we discovered and been going through. I'm sure alot of homeowners are satisified with their quality built modular homes. but not all NEH modulars are created equal.
John
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Aug 22, 6:11 pm, snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net wrote:

Interesting article from the VP of New England Homes, Inc. I seems that even the VP has doughts of the performances of their contractors performances.
Regulations sought for modular home installations New Hampshire Business Review, Oct 26, 2007 by Sanders, Bob E-mail Print Link No one oversees the actual installation of manufactured homes in New Hampshire, and both the industry and the state fire marshal want to do something about that.
"There is a gap in New Hampshire, no doubt about it, and it needs to filled," said Michael Younus, president of the Modular Manufacturers Association of the Northeast.
Young said the concept of proposed legislation that would certify or would license installers "sounds great," but he still would have to see the details to make sure they are "reasonable."
The state fire marshal licenses modular home manufacturers, and if a defect is found or a part is poorly constructed it can fine the company or pull its license. It can even pull the license of those who inspect the home at the manufacturer on behalf of the state, if the inspector isn't doing his or her job.
But no one inspects how all these pieces are put together, and Fire Marshal Bill Degnan says he gets several complaints a month about that. Some complaints are merely about cosmetic matters, but others are life-threatening, like the roof installed without the proper reinforcements in Wilmot that could collapse under a heavy snow load and the home in Tamworth where the joints were not sealed, allowing air to come in. And the house was so off-line that the structural integrity of the entire building was in question, Degnan said.
But, he added: "There is nothing I can really do."
Rep. Thomas Buco, D-Conway, thought that something had to be done after seeing the aforementioned home in Tamworth. (The owners of that home declined comment because they are suing the builder). Buco's bill would require that homes be inspected at the site, not just at the factory, and that the contractors be bonded.
Degnan favors some sort of certification, not only of the installer, but also of the distributor of the home. Younus, who said several other bills are being considered, wants to model any legislation on Maine's law, which has a board consisting of representatives from all parties to regulate the entire industry.
Younus recognized that additional regulation will add to the cost of modular homes, and the homes' low cost is one of the reason they are becoming competitive. "But if that cost results in a higher level of consumer satisfaction and efficiency, it would be worth it, as long as it is measured and reasonable," he said. He said he was not overly concerned that it wouldn't be.
The important thing, he said, is that those imposing any new regulations listen to industry input so that "there is a clear understanding on how the industry operates and what are the requirements of a smooth operation."
Do you as a future modular homeowner, do you realy want to purchase a modular home in NH ???
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Wed, 27 Aug 2008 06:29:21 -0700 (PDT), snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net wrote:

Interesting post, thanks for putting the information up.
Add pictures here
βœ–

I guess there is problems with other NEH too
Report: New England Homes Category: Builders & Contractors
New England Homes HOME CRAP HOME! Greenland New Hampshire
Read how Ripoff Report saves consumers millions.
Rebuttal Box Respond to this report! Are you an owner, employee or ex-employee with either negative or positive information about the company or individual, or can you provide "insider information" on this company?
Victim of this person/company? Are you also a victim of the same company or individual? Want Justice? File a Rip-off Report, help other consumers to be educated and don΄t let them get away with it!
New England Homes Phone: 800-800-8831 Fax: 270 Ocean Road Greenland, New Hampshire, 03840 U.S.A.
Submitted: 7/7/2008 6:50:26 PM Modified: 7/7/2008 6:50:00 PM Dan Groveland, Massachusetts
I am sitting in my New England Home as you read. They were the WORST, WORST, company I have ever dealt with in my 37 years. I will only sum it up. The roof leaked for a year and a half. They sent sub-contractor idiots back EVERY SINGLE TIME IT RAINED! Thats how often they came back and 'patched' in the roof. Maybe 20 times. After I went to the BBB, they actually had the nerve to try to put a second layer of shingles over the first. They ended up replacing the entire roof. They should have done that 19 times ago. The plumbing leaked at every joint in the house. Not just the water side of the plumbing but the venting side as well. You cannot get a permit to live in the home with so much as a pinhole. They ended up cutting through the walls all through the house, open up any cupboard or closet and to this day, there are holes everywhere in the sheetrock. The plumbing AND the wiring as screwed up somewhere between the first and second 'unfinished' floor. They sawed no less than 10 holes in the upstairs floor to find the problem. They didn't fix it(the floor, not the problem). I paid 700.00 for a subfloor and installed myself, in a brand new house. It goes ON AND ON. It got to the point that after 9 or 10 months I just started calling the better business bureau with my problems instead of NE homes. That was the only way I got things done. They basically tried to 'shoo' me away to the 1 year warranty. Cut your wrists before you give them a dime. By-the-by, After all was said and done, I honestly don't think they made a cent off of me because of the huge number of times they had to come back and fix shoddy workmanship. It is evident through and through. I only wrote about a couple of examples, there was ALOT more.
Dan Groveland, Massachusetts U.S.A.
Video Spotlight Companies steal from your bank account. Find out how. PLAY VIDEO
Add pictures here
βœ–
Unhappy Customer had written this in response to http://www.thestuccocompany.com/construction/Re-New-England-Homes-Inc-New-England-Homes-NEH-15134-.htm : Peter,
You'd be smart in heeding fireguy's warnings. I too had a very similiar issue with NEH. Again they INSIST you use their "authorized builder dealer" and then they assign you some moron who is incapable of finishing their product. When you go back to NEH for help and assistance they try and tell you that it is between you and the dealer now and they don't have any responsiblity for anything beyond the initial construction. They have been BANNED from Nantucket and should be Banned everywhere! I would not recommend this company!

##-----------------------------------------------## Delivered via http://www.thestuccocompany.com/ Building Construction and Maintenance Forum Web and RSS access to your favorite newsgroup - alt.building.construction - 16148 messages and counting! ##-----------------------------------------------##
Add pictures here
βœ–