new deck addition over 2nd story house

hi all! i am contemplating building a deck on my roof to overlook the water..

do you have any estimates on weight on what a typically A-Frame roofline will support? I wonder who would know where you do to plug a formula in and let me know my weight restrictions. my biggest fear is that we get this structure up there and then we add 20 people and all fall through the roof :)

thanks,

Reply to
kyle

Size of rafters would help. A-Frame construction details would also help.

Building a deck on the side of the facia or actually on the rafter?

The problems with framing on a roof are: Water proofing Re-roofing when applicable Attachment of deck to roof Access Railing details need to be addressed for strength ie: bolting details.

Reply to
jloomis

Your roof can't take the load without significant structural work. It's as simple as that.

A deck has a higher required design load than the first floor of the house. There are wind loads, etc.

There is absolutely nothing about what you are hoping to do that can be determined by "plugging in a formula" (sheesh). It's called structural engineering and there is very little guesswork involved.

Pick up the phone and call a structural engineer. Yes it will cost you money. No, you have no other choice.

RicodJour

Kyle-

There's a little more to it than "plug a formula in and let me know my weight restrictions".

Reply to
fftt