Need help to remove pvc pipe embedded in concrete wall.....

I have two holes in lower foundation wall that I need to plug. The holes were originally going to be for utilities but they were relocated during construction so they are no longer needed. The holes have 2-1/2 pvc which is embedded in the concrete which is 10" thick. I was thinking of plugging with hydraulic cement but would like to remove the pvc first but am not sure how. I am worried about water finding its way between the pipe and the concrete if I just fill in pipe. Any suggestions for solution would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance. K

Reply to
geo.nova

If they were poured into the wall. they won't leak. I assume there is backfill on the outside. I would shoot half a tub of caulk into the pipe, wad up some paper, shove it into the pipe until it stops and that will seal the end. Then forget it.

Reply to
Glenn

K, I agree with Glen. Water is not going to leak around the pipe. Fill it with hydraulic cement and/or an expandable rubber plug. You can get more opinions on these sites if it will help.

hgty.com/pro/foundation Good luck, jim

Base60

I think your two choices if you *must* remove it are:

  1. Break up the pipe (long pointy object... )

or

  1. Solvent. (Caution, fire hazard if you are not careful.)

Personally I'd leave it, stick inj a cap to cover the end and don't worry about it.

Reply to
PeterD

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote on 24 Feb 2008 in group alt.building.construction:

I'm always reluctant to delete a feature. I always left old, unused things in when I was a programmer, and now I do it in remodeling. That pipe might be just what you need a few years from now. Or it might be what the next owner of the house needs.

Fill it up with trinkets, seal it, and open it back up in ten years. You can have your own time capsule.

Reply to
Steve

Plug with an expanding rubber plug. If you're set on removing the pipe, slit it using a reciprocating saw.

Reply to
Chas Hurst