nails vs staples, 3/4 hardwood floor

I am about to install 3/4" walnut prefinished and Brazilian Cherry hardwood in my house and in one room engineered Brazilian Cherry. I currently have a Bostich MIII Stapler and have since heard that nails are better for the 3/4 hardwood. Which to use? Opinions seem to be split down the middle as to which is better, but can't really find a reason why one is better than the other. Which to use?

Use the nails you will be much happier in the end.
CID...
On Apr 29, 9:55 pm, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

I found the same when I was researching a recent 1100 install. Finally I used staples...the contractor tool rental place said the flooring guys use them all the time. After having to trash a couple of boards for operator error...I don't think the floor is going anywhere. That said, I know that some woods (really hard) will slplit more with nails. Make sure the pressure setting is correct...too much and you'll crush the tongue.
Good luck!!
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com says...

Most nailer manufacturers recommend nails for 3/4" wood as a small percentage of the longer staples may bend over. On the other hand, some exotic hardwoods are brittle and the larger 16 gauge nails tend to split off the tongue of the plank. The newest 18 nailers address these issues. If the floor you want is really an engineered product, not solid hardwood, then the standard 16 gauge nails would work fine.
--
Dennis