Nailing Board and Batten Siding Help Please

Most websites say to nail the boards in the centre only and the battens through the space between the boards. All the people I've seen put up board and batten nailed the boards on the edges, then again through the edges when putting on the battens Which is better?
I have 1/2 inch white pine, 8 inched wide. Located in North Bay Ontario, Canada (three hours north of Toronto)
The websites say the one nail in the middle of the board will let it expand and contract without warping or splitting. Others have concerns that if the batten warps then nothing holds the edges of the boards down. They also say if the board is going to cup, the nail in the centre is not going to hold.
Thanks in advance for your 2 cents worth!
Don

I'm not sure about the nailing of a wide board only once in the middle. I approach it like it's a cedar shingle or piece of slate roofing. Two nails is good, three nails is bad, regardless of the width. The way I've done it is to nail each board about 1" from each edge, then nail the batten once in the middle. The batten is a relatively narrow strip - if you install it with the bark side out, it's unlikely that it will curl away from the boards.
Hi Don, You have hit the proverbial nail on the head question when it comes to board and batt siding.......
I have to tell you I have heard all stories and tried all............ One thing is what kind of wood it is, what the structure is like, and how wet is it? Wet wood will alway change, and warp or split...... Dry wood will absorb moisture and swell....... The batt can hold down either side of the board but when one nail is placed in the batt it tends to warp.......
I have finally favored nailing the "piss" out of it, and use a stainless staple for the batt. Of course kiln dry wood is best for shrinkage and or warping also, and if you secure it in place with a nail on either side of the board it seems to say,"ok, I give, this is my spot."With a sealer or clear seal on that product it will not absorb..... I have to tell you I have seen board and batt nailed religiously in the middle and look like heck....... Also batts with one nail and look potatoe chipped.... Some nail alternately on the board also......On the left about 2 ft....down on the right 2 ft. then down lower on the left 2 ft. and so on...... Some leave a wide margin in the center between boards for swelling/// Anyway, I would love to hear from an expert.....if there are any..... jloomis