Nailed vs. floated floors

I am trying to decide whether I should install a floated bamboo floor or nailed bamboo floor in my house. I understand that the floated floor is easier to install but more expensive because of extra materials. The reason for considering a floated floor is the mother-in-law apartment that is below....though I have not rented it out but may in the future. The floated floor may provide better sound transmission blocking.
On the other hand I like the idea of nailing to floor to solidly lock it down in. I don't like the springiness that I may get with a floated floor. I can use cheaper solid wood bamboo or the more espensive engineered bamboo floor. With the floated floor I have to use the engineered product.
Any advice would be appreciated.
BTW, I will be installing this floor myself so installation tips are also appreciated.
Thanks! David
On Jul 17, 8:44�pm, "Axtman" <daxtATpacifierDOTcom> wrote:

Hi,
In my opinion, floating floors are used mainly so that a floor can be laid over tile, concrete, etc. If you don't want to raise the floor another 3/4" by installing plywood, then float the floor. If the substrate isn't an issue and you're looking for sound blocking properties, there are much better ways to go than floating the floor. If I read your post right, it's your own home your talking about. Put in the extra day or so of work nailing in the floor and enjoy a lifetime of a structurally sound flooring. As far as using engineered vs. solid, bamboo is much more stable than oak. If you're installing at or above grade level on plywood, save your money and go with solid. If you have no choice but to float over concrete, go with engineered. In NYC, you can buy solid bamboo flooring for about $2.00 / SF at Costco - they beat all the flooring distributors on that. Not sure where you're from or what pricing is like elsewhere. Good luck to you.
On Jul 17, 8:44�pm, "Axtman" <daxtATpacifierDOTcom> wrote:

Aother thing I forgot to mention - install tips. Let the floor acclimate in the room to be installed for at least a few days before installing. Leave an expansion gap at the walls running parallel to the boards (to be covered later with molding). Use a white mallot for prefinished floors - not black. Don't be shy with the nails and make sure you can buy any necessary transition pieces to match the floor before you buy.