Mud shower pan

Does anyone have any experiance with this product?

Raider Bill

No, but Schluter has an excellent system.

They sell the individual components as well. The system takes care of pitch, drainage, waterproofing and uncoupling. If you see someone using their stuff, it's almost a given that they are not a hack. The same can't be said for anything else in tiling.

RicodJour

I second the Kerdi waterproofing and drain system, though I did not use the preformed shower beds. I liked Kerdi because the waterproofing membrane goes right under the tile instead of under a mud bed that can absorb water and cause mildew problems. And, only one mud bed is needed (vinyl liners usually require two, one under, one over).

From just a brief look, it looks like you could probably use the pre-pitch screeds to form the mud bed, then use Kerdi to waterproof it all?

It has been a few years, but here's a link to my bathroom projects with lots of photos of our progress. The main bathroom mud bed with Kerdi starts around page 3 (watch the word wrap, this is all one line):

Take care,

Anthony

Reply to
HerHusband

My shower is a weird size, nobody makes a pan that will fit it. 6'8" X

40" I'm not sure of my ability to slope the mud right so am considering this system. The company is local here in Clearwater, fl but my build is in Tenn.
Reply to
Raider Bill

Our 6'x6' shower was a non-standard size also, so premade pans were not an option.

I started my mud bed by setting the kerdi drain in a bed of mud in the center of the floor. This is the "low point" in the shower, so it's the most critical place to start.

Then I determined how high the edges needed to be to maintain a 1/4" per foot slope, and built up the mortar around the edge of the shower at the proper height (checking it with a level). Our shower was square, but you'll need to figure out the height based on the longest dimension (so the shorter sides will have a bit steeper slope).

Then I simply filled in the area between the drain and the perimeter and screeded off the extra with a board.

The mortar mix should be fairly dry so it "packs", not fluid like concrete.

If this is your first pan, I recommend visiting the John Bridge tiling forum. There's a lot of great advice and examples there. I don't think I could have pulled ours off as nicely without that forum.

Good luck!

Anthony

Reply to
HerHusband