Mr. Slim Ductless heating and airconditioning

Does anyone have experience with Mr. Slim, a unit made by Mitsubishi Electric used for heating and cooling small areas? This a ductless unit. I want to supplement the heating and cooling in a kitchen. The Kitchen is over a crawlspace and the longest distance from the central cooling/heating unit. The kitchen faces the west and northwest direction. Complete windows in that direction. The room is cool in the winter and warmer than desired in the summer. To have the kitchen comfortable in the winter, the entire house temperature would need to be increased or just the opposite in the summer.
Thanks John

I have installed a different brand ductless mini-split in my home and am happy with it. Not sure what you mean by a 'small area', the smallest mini splits are 9000 BTUs and designed to heat/cool over 400 square feet by themselves. You are proposing to use it to supplement an existing system, possibly in a smaller area, so it isn't going to run very often.
The Mr. Slim units are among the most expensive on the market, about double the cost of similar units. They may be worth the extra cost, I don't know.
--
Dennis

John A Reichert wrote:

Yes. We just installed one in an addition going up on my brother's house. It is a sweet unit but it is a bit pricey. It is so quiet you have to check to see if it is running, in a/c and heat. There was some confusion about the control circuits. A piece of literature somewhere said it used the power feed for control but we found out later (after installation) that control wires had to be run separately. Luckily the wall board had not gone up yet.
--
Art

We've used Mitsubishi (not necessarily Mr. Slim) split units in several applications, particularly, server rooms in schools, to supplement cooling and have had very good results and few complaints.
Tom

Thanks for the replies. My understanding from the replies from DT, Art and Tom: the units work, DIY can install, and the Mr. Slim has competition. The Kitchen I hope to heat and cool is about 300 sg ft with a cathedral ceiling. Are these assumption correct? Thanks John

All's I can ask you about them is have you priced them? And most of the models are only good for one room.
--
Steve Barker

"John A Reichert" < snipped-for-privacy@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
Hi John,
I installed a 14,000 BTU/H ductless heat pump as a supplemental heat source for my home and I couldn't be happier with its performance. Last year, it reduced my fuel oil consumption by just over 1,100 litres, for a net savings of $574.00.
http://server4.pictiger.com/img/264069/picture-hosting/heat-pump.php
This small unit is capable of heating my entire home (a 2,500 sq. ft. Cape Cod) until the outside temperature falls below -2C (28F). Even more amazingly, at -10C (14F) -- effectively, the lower operating range for this particular model -- the heat it provides is one third less costly than oil and about forty per cent less expensive than electric resistance [I currently pay 10.13 cents per kWh for electricity and, as of my last fill, 81.9 cents per litre for heating oil; my boiler has a AFUE rating of 82 per cent.]
I should add that the HSPF (heating season performance factor) for this model is 7.2 and I believe the new minimum standard is now 7.7.
I opted for a Friedrich and paid $2,100.00 CDN ($1,800.00 US), installed, including taxes. At current energy costs, it should pay for itself within three to four years.
Cheers, Paul
On Sat, 9 Dec 2006 09:06:48 -0500, "John A Reichert"

Paul, Is it diffult to installed? I have on old in-the-wall Dayton Electric Heater which we don't use mostly because it is too noisy. This unit could be removed, the hole patch with sheet rock and the electric service used for the ductless heater. John

Hi John,
I confess I'm one chromosome short of the village idiot when it comes to anything like this, so I had a licensed a/c tech who is familiar with these systems install it for me. Labour and ancillary materials came to about $400.00 CDN as I recall, which I consider money well spent. Truth is, I don't have the knowledge, practical skills, tools and comfort level to work on refrigeration equipment.
Best regards, Paul
On Sat, 9 Dec 2006 20:50:50 -0500, "John A Reichert"

They aren't real hard to install as long as you get a kit that is pre-charged and comes with all the wires and correct length tubing. You need a 2 inch hole in the wall near the ceiling. The power goes to the outdoor unit with a disconnect nearby usually required by local code. A power cable and control cable run from the outdoor unit to the indoor unit, along with the two copper lines. A condensate drip line comes back out of the indoor unit and goes to a drain.
But, and this may be a big factor for you, it will not be factory guaranteed unless installed by a licensed tech. I would recommend it be professionally installed.
I have some background (and equipment) in automotive AC so I went ahead and did my own installation. In my case, I needed to make my own custom length lines. I did a full purge/vacuum check before charging, something you would not have the equipment to do, I'm assuming. If you are going to pursue the do-it-yourself route, eBay has plenty of various units, just search on 'mini split'. I live in a more northern area, and could not find any local sources, they all seem to sell in CA or FL.
--
Dennis