Moisture on Foundation walls in basement...New Home

I am in the process of building a new home, and my foundation walls in the basment have moisture all around the bottom. What is it? I will be talking to my builder this week, but want to get some peoples opinions before we meet.
I have attached a couple pictures to show what I am talking about.
http://www.imagewoof.com/view_image/ebed41444/Basement_1.jpg
http://www.imagewoof.com/view_image/fcaff1415/Basement_2.jpg
http://www.imagewoof.com/view_image/33d941450/Basement_3.jpg
http://www.imagewoof.com/view_image/b3beb1421/Basement_4.jpg
Thanks.
On May 13, 2:58 pm, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

http://www.imagewoof.com/view_image/ebed41444/Basement_1.jpghttp://www.imagewoof.com/view_image/fcaff1415/Basement_2.jpghttp://www.imagewoof.com/view_image/33d941450/Basement_3.jpghttp://www.imagewoof.com/view_image/b3beb1421/Basement_4.jpg
If this has been recently poured I would guess that the bottom portion of the wall is still curing. The curing of the concrete takes place over time and those portions of the wall which appear wet are in just the place you would expect to be the last to cure, near the bottom of the hole.
When was it poured? Is the outside backfilled? What has your weather been in the past 2 weeks? It looks as if you floor is not poured. Were the walls damp or water proofed? Is there a French drain?
Concrete is not water proof. Concrete can be quite absorbent. Concrete takes 28 days for the initial cure.
--
______________________________
Keep the whole world singing . . . .

It was poured about 80 days ago.

It has been backfilled.

A couple days of good rain about a week ago. Other then that pretty dry.

No basment floor poured yet, I expect soon though as the vapour barrier has been laid.

They were only dampproofed

Yes just installed in the last week.

On 13 May 2007 21:39:05 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

High water table? Is the sand/fill below the plastic damp as well?

Ours was never this wet..just a few days after the forms were stripped, the foundation was dry but it is dry here. The foundation backfill mixture was dry..That was all done way before they got close to finishing/framing the floor above.
I see they did coat the outside of the foundation..with at least spray on black bituminous/tar substance or some sheet chanelling product Ok, was there gravel and draintile placed on the outside of the foundation below (basement floor)grade and then covered with a semi permeable roll product to keep dirt from entering the drain pipe(big "O" 4" black slit pipe or the white 4" type with holes)
That is what you re calling a French Drain..here we call it draintile and it must be below grade to take the water away before it gets to the floor area. I don't know why they'd take 80 days to get it in there. It seems they've had time to build the entire floor above and since you say its been relatively dry, I think you re right to be concerned. It appears that the walls are dry but that the moisture may be wicking up from the fill below the vapor barrier. Even after the floor is poured, there is no way to stop this if the moisture below the floor persists..wherever its coming from, 80 days after the pour..
Hopefully the drain will take care of it if its installed properly and in the correct place(below floor grade). Perhaps all this dampness persisted because the drain wasnt in when you got the rain and the water just ran into the excavation soaking the walls. If there was a trench there for the drain, I dont know how the water didnt end up below grade.
Only time will tell.
What do they have there below the plastic visqueen/vaper barrier ? Is it ABC mixed soil sand gravel ? Seems coarser than sand. Here they use sand, compact it, then apply the 6 mil vapor barrier, RED (Tuck) tape the seams and them pour the floor.
I d try to get something in writing signed by the builder..at least an acknowledgment that the matter had been discussed and any dampness must be resolved before final payment is made. If there are plans to finish the basement, make sure the concrete is bone dry before any framing goes in.
Good luck
It appears to be a condensation problem, we have had some very hot days lately and with the basment being below grade and much cooler, condensation is forming on the lower parts of the foudnation walls. I guess the best thing to do is get some fans in there and run a dehumidifer. Any suggestions or opinions?