Mister spray on AC condenser coils OK?

My neighbor showed me where he has installed a mister system with 5 mister sprays to mist the AC condenser coils. He says it improves the heat transfer and lets the AC work more efficiently. Since our daytime temps are 95 and above, I would like to know if there is any downside to this installation.

Reply to
Walker1940

If you are using your house water supply, minerals will build up on the condenser.

-- Dennis

Reply to
DT

snipped-for-privacy@removethis.com wrote in news:jvr9b2pbfh5la7175dshiftn6gui59oubq@

4ax.com:

A pro AC guy told me they do this as a test for something and monitor with attached guages, temps and whatever. He said doing it without the gauges you can easily trash the compressor.

Reply to
Al Bundy

Can you explain this, I'm having a hard time figuring how it would trash a compressor. The gas has already gone through the compressor before entering the condenser. How would this be different than turning on the AC on a cold day? Or on a hot rainy day?

--Andy Asberry recommends NewsGuy--

Reply to
Andy Asberry

It won't hurt anything. The 'pro' was being a bit grandeous. I work on automotive a/c, and hosing down the condenser is a quick test to see how well the condenser and fan are doing, if the high pressure side drops a lot with water sprayed, it means the fan/condenser isn't very effective and could be suspect. It's also a way to see how the system operates with optimum cooling. On a hot day without a really good box fan blowing through the front of the car, it's often the only way to get decent readings.

-- Dennis

Reply to
DT

Andy Asberry wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

I really don't know Andy. HVAC is not a strong area of mine since I've had very little exposure to it.

The guy was a pro in that he worked as a repair tech for a reputable local company. Then at that, Day-1 on the job they call them "Tax Pro"s at H&R Block...

Reply to
Al Bundy