Missing stuff

Let's say a subcontractor delivers supplies to a site and the supplies walk off before they can be installed. The supplies can be lumber, copper, AC units, anything... My question is, in normal circumstances (if there are any), who should be responsible and who's insurance (hopefully) would be expected to cover the loss - The owner, GC, subcontractor ?

I know there might be mitigating circumstances like what's in the contract or whether the supplies were properly secured, etc. So please feel free to relate your own experiences or thoughts.

Thanks, Curt

Reply to
crhras

If the subcontractors materials are not installed, they are responsible for them. They didn't have to leave it out there.

If the materials have been installed (A/C unit, copper tubing, etc.) then the builder is responsible.

If the materials are provided by the builder (lumber, doors, windows), the builder is responsible.

If the owner supplied the materials and profit margin is not provided to the builder and/or if the owner leaves materials when they are not needed, the owner takes responsibility.

I've had everything you can imagine stolen. I've replaced water heaters, air conditioners, furnaces, ranges, microwaves, front doors, copper piping, light fixtures, lumber, etc. Unfotunately, my deductible has always been higher than the cost of any single theft. You just call the cops, make the report, and replace the lost item.

Its the world we live in.

Shannon Pate

Reply to
Shannon Pate