Michael, can you answer a question?

Page 1 of 2
I'm looking at buying a small single story house to flip. It sure could use a small addition in the kitchen. To keep cost down I would just extend the floor joist to create an overhang. For the life of me I can't remember if the joist are 2x8's or 2x10's. Either way do you have a calculation to determine the maximum length for both lumbers? I don't want to dig for a foundation so overhang is the way to go. Also, is there a way to determine the maximum overhang if I were to double the lumber and use a flinch plate? Lou

Are you asking me?
--

MichaelB
www.michaelbulatovich.ca

Yep Lou

I'm sorry but I can't answer, and I'm pretty sure that I shouldn't answer.
On the first point, there's way to little information for anyone to intelligently answer. On the second point, even if I did have enough info to address the first point, I'd be doing work, and taking risk, with no reward other than your gratitude. I've got paying work I have to do, and then in my free time I've got a bunch of other things to do. My discretionary time around this time of year revolves around hockey playoffs, "the Provincials", and then tryouts for next year.
Based on what you've said, I'd be surprised if your approach is going to be able to work, or cost effective once you figure out how to do it right. One doesn't typically "extend" a floor without foundations or bearing of some kind, and I think you mean "flitch plate". Flinching is what I'm doing.
--

MichaelB
www.michaelbulatovich.ca

You're making all kinds of assumptions....like joist direction. My engineer won't do 1/3:2/3 for precisely the reason you mention.
--

MichaelB
www.michaelbulatovich.ca

yup, i know, just mentioning that it could be possible

Even if you could retrofit cantilevered joists from an engineering point of view, it seems like an awful lot of work--surely there is plumbing and electical in the way? It'd hardly be more work to use helical piers or sonotubes.
Sounds like a longshot to me...

Guys, It's not that complicated. I'm just going to put a 2' overhang in the eating area of a kitchen to get more space to walk around the table. The original joist go in the right direction to sister on the new joist. At one time I had a spreadsheet on the maxim that this could be done. Right now I was looking for the calculation. Anyone can figure a 2' overhang, I was looking to see if I could pick up a few more inches, or if the calculation is shorter than the 2'. Keep it simple gentlemen, it's just not that difficult. Lou

Well the point is that your question was sort of naive. Our engineer/architect friends on this NG tend to get het up when you look for free advice without providing any background information. How can anyone tell you how far you can cantilever when you provide zero information on loads? Joist depth would be critical too. Which way are you going to run your rafters? etc.
The only simple calculation for cantilevers I have heard of is that load bearing cantilevers can extend only as far as the joist depth. Otherwise you're looking at paying an engineer, or just doing it yourself and hoping for the best.

Including you?

I like it when people who can't do it themselves, tell me how complicated my work is. It's usually in the context of trying to drive down my fee. Since the fee is zero here, it looks like I'll have to pay him money before it's over ; )

"Het up"? Is that a typo, or some expression I've never heard before?

I'm curious now. Is anyone going to give odds on the OP doing the work without a permit and having an "interesting" time when he goes to sell the house? I think we should call Flip This House and get them over there to start filming. They love that sort of thing.

I _like_ it! It saves a bunch of letters and a syllable.

I don't do technical analysis anymore, but do I smell a 'market top' in real estate?
--

MichaelB
www.michaelbulatovich.ca

Ayup, see:
http://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/180750.html
cavedweller wrote:

My wife's from Texas... I hear this kind of stuff *all the time*! <g>
--
Notan

Thanks. Pronounced like "set"?

Yep
If it's not that difficult, then you do it.
--
Steve Barker

YOU should be the one

Thank you Steve, I will. I just don't have the fear that you do. Lou