Metal Connectors for Wooden Posts

Hello,

I have a couple questions about metal connectors (e.g. Simpon Strong Tie connectors) that are used with wooden posts.

First, I often see post bases set in concrete which have two straps extending upward to connect to opposite sides of a post (e.g. Simpson's CB series). About what axises, if any, does such a connection have the ability to resist moment? How about lateral loads at the base?

Second, I also see caps for a post-beam connection which have a square plate sitting between the beam and post, with a pair of legs folded up around the beam and an orthogonal pair of legs folded down around the post (e.g. Simpson's BC series). These resist lateral forces parallel to the beam; how about lateral forces perpendicular to the beam? And what about moments?

Lastly, is it possible to use these or other metal connectors to design a wooden moment resisting frame?

Thanks, Wayne

Reply to
Wayne Whitney

do u have a pic of building ?

Reply to
kmgrassel

My questions are mostly theoretical, but if you like consider a small gazebo without any diagonal bracing.

Cheers, Wayne

Reply to
Wayne Whitney

Most of the metal connectors have little if any rated ability to handle moments. The connectors that do have such a capability are special order and far heavier construction than the typical connectors found at the Borg.

Simpson's tech support is quite helpful - give them a call if you have questions about a specific connector and its load capacities.

RicodJour

I am trying... to ... resist....aaaaahhhhh! Failed!

A beam walks into a bar. Bartender says; What'll ya have, buddy?

Beam says; Just give me a moment.

Reply to
Robert Allison

Wayne-

I happen to be sitting here doing the newsgroup thing with a SImpson catalog in my lap.

One of my (many) gripes about Simpson is that their post bases listed in the catalong have no rated moment capacity.

I cannot find my latest catalog so I'm using the 2005 one.

Every one of the seven models / families of post bases in the 2005 catalog have this note:

rotating about the base and therefore are not recommended for non top-supported installations (such as fences or unbraced carports).

Reply to
Bobk207

Reply to
Wayne Whitney