Measuring my coffee table for a glass top

(I figure it's OK to ask this question here, since I may set my coffee down there while working on a construction project.)

I need to get a piece of 1/4" glass cut to put on top of a wood coffee table. Should I want the glass to be exactly square with the edges of the table? Slightly larger? Slightly smaller?

Thanks

-Mark

Reply to
Mark G.

Mark,

I'd call up your local glass and mirror shop. They can take a look at the table and make suggestions on size and thickness. Consider buffed or beveled edges and they make little supports so the glass is not resting direction on the table. Hope that helps...

...Bob

Reply to
Bob Dozier

Depends on whta the table's edges are like... Strictly a personal preference thing, IMHO.

If the wood is straight edged, I'd make it exactly the same size as the wood.

If the wood is not straight, perhaps a *tiny* bit smaller that the smallest point along the edge.

I'd never do an overhang, too much risk of breakage.

Also a few points:

1/4 inch may be too thin, perhaps somethign thicker? Use tempered glass if possible. Use pads in the corner and every 12 to 18 inches along the edges to keep the glass lifted just above the wood. That will help prevent damage to teh wood, and sticking.
Reply to
PeterD

Since most coffee tables with glass tops are inlays, should be the same size of the original glass. If not available (you never stated, odd), measure and give 1/8" play all sides. The edges should be rounded over. The corners should have some round over as well.

If its a solid top wood table, same as above. 1/8" smaller all around. The table has to be perfectly square, otherwise, a custom cut is required on-site. The person cutting the glass may provide hardware for providing stay of the glass. Otherwise, you gotta do it. Dave

Reply to
Dioclese