Lubricant for Glass Sliding door tracks ?

Page 1 of 3
What is a good lubricant for glass sliding door tracks? I suppose I need something that will lube the tracks for at least a few weeks, without attracting too much dirt and grime to the lubricant itself. I have tried a soap bar which works well, but only for a week or so.
WD40 works intitially, but doesn't last, and attracts dirt.
Any good ideas ?
Thank you !!
James
James wrote:

Lubricating the tracks is like oiling the skating rink hoping for longer coast times. You need to oil the bearing that are riding on the tracks.
Rich

Sounds good. How do you get to them? Aerosol?
C & E wrote:

I wonder why people think WD-40 is lubricant? It's a cleaning solvent. I'd try little bit of white grease(Luriplate) or squirt of liquid wrench (Teflon).
Thanks for all the ideas. I have in fact tried liquid wrench, but it wears off after a week or two.
I have not yet tried graphite, and had not thought of it. I think that I will give that a try. I wonder if the powder or liquid graphite would do best ?
Keep the comments coming !!
James

I've used powdered graphite on a couple of similar things. I got a 12 ounce squeeze bottle at the local True Value. Pretty cheap as I remember. Don't know why a previous poster mentioned that it would make a goopy mess. It's dry. Unless your door is really exposed to the weather, the graphite should stay dry too....

Sorry, what was I thinking. A door exposed to weather? How silly of me. (head hanging with shame)
Besides, that graphite will add a nice sheen to the floors as it gets tracked in.

YMMV, but all my silders are under a VERY big "eve," I know I spelled that wrong/. Anyway, they get no moisture, really, and I am in Oregon's Rain Forest. Again, as I say, it may be different for you, that's why i made my disclaimer, but in this area all exterior doors in any quality built place are quite protected....
snipped-for-privacy@mailcity.com wrote:

And the kids can skate in the kitchen on graphite covered socks?
--

Christopher A. Young
You can\'t shout down a troll.

Kids are really in to graphitey.

Liquid wrench is made with teflon? Are you sure?

They make a version with a hint of teflon... It's all just marketing hype though.
It's still not a lubricant.

on 6/12/2007 9:40 PM Tony Hwang said the following:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WD-40
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
willshak wrote:

(didn't click on link)
I don't care what anyone says, it's still not a lubricant. It is good for first-pass cleaning of greasy parts, or displacing water from distributor caps. It is not a good lubricant.
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
-snip-

You made 2 statements. I would have agreed with the first, "it's not a lubricant", a few years ago. WD-40 even had on their label "This is not a lubricant" But now their label says "Lubricates. . . hinges, wheels, rollers, chains, gears"
So either they changed their definition of lubricates-- or changed the recipe.
You other statement "It is not a good lubricant" might be true-- especially in the OP's case where there are products designed for sliding door rollers--- if lubrication is really what they need.
Jim
Jim Elbrecht wrote:

From their own web site in something they put up as opposed to supplied "uses" -- "WD-40's lubricating ingredients are widely dispersed..." :)
What they changed was their advertising...

More than "might" -- it is true. Works for a little while while it's still wet, but as the product statement above notes, there ain't much lubrication value in it...
Lift door up and out of the track. Invert door.
--

Christopher A. Young
You can\'t shout down a troll.

I haven't tried it, but what about graphite. Seems <logically> that it would be OK....