Limestone Bullnose

I need to put a bullnose on some rectangular (2 1/4" x 12 1/2" x 8') limestone which are being used as treads on an exterior staircase. Does anyone know of a tool or method which could do this ?
Thanks, Curt
crhras wrote:

The stonecutters/shapers use industrial diamond tooling...ain't cheap but if you're doing more than one it would undoubtedly pay. Carbide _can_ serve in a pinch, but it'll eat it up in a hurry for anything of any size.
http://www.abrasive-tech.com/Pages/EdgeShape.html
You might find it cheaper if you're in a large metro area to find a stone supplier to do the shaping operation for you. If it's relatively a small operation it's also possible a monument (as in gravestones) supplier would be willing to do it for you.
Excellent !! Thanks for the ideas.

If you have not picked the steps up, then have the supplier do it for you.
--
remove one of the @\'s unless you are a spammer.
"crhras" < snipped-for-privacy@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
The supplier said that it would take 4 weeks to get the bullnose done. I can pick up the rectangular limestone today.

That tells me, they ship it to get it done. Might ask them where they take it. Take it yourself. Or, ask who else can do it. Unless you are doing this allot, the tools are expensive.
--
remove one of the @\'s unless you are a spammer.
"crhras" < snipped-for-privacy@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
call the nearest quarry & ask them if they know anyone that does it
longshot wrote:

if you cannot find a vendor to do this for you in a timely manner
this link might provide a lead to a supplier of the correct type of router bits
http://aboutstone.org/conversa/arc004/msg00336.html
cheers Bob
Bobk207 wrote:

shoulda checked the link before I posted
this one works
http://www.granitecitytool.com/fabrication.cfm?mcatnum
bits are rather pricey but they are the way to do the job
cheers Bob
Thanks again for everyone's help.
FYI, I ordered a bit from Abrasive Technologies for $100 and bullnosed the limestone myself. It worked well and took about 1 day to do 80 linear feet. Got the limestone installed in 2 days and probably saved around $200 altogether.
Thanks again. Wouldn't have thought it could be done without your help.

crhras wrote:

Glad it worked out for you, but saying you saved $200 is a bit misleading. A day of work routing the bullnose and a couple or three hours of research is certainly worth more than $200. On the bright side, you now have the router bit for other projects.
It's the time, not the money that I saved that I was concerned with. However, regarding the money, I wrote in $200 in labor and $279 for the router and bit I had to purchase and still came out $200 <. I didn't count my time but that really isn't worth more than 10cents / hour.

crhras wrote:

Well, as long you have no illusions. ;) There are of course projects where people conveniently ignore the value of their time because they simply have no other choice if they wish to remain relatively sane. The worst examples of these are people that build their own home and crow about the savings when they've placed zero value on their time. I'm all for the do it yourself thing, but there is a difference between savings and virtual savings. Your situation seems different in that you were spending time to save some time. Works for me.
Call a Granite/ Marble mason (someone who does Granite/ Mable kitchen countertops) they have the tools and will be less exspensive/ quicker than the quarry doing it.