Leak in Foundation wall

Hey all, There is a 8" deep circular channel the circumference of a dime that goes into my poured foundation wall.(from where the forms were used.) It's cement covering has come off and when heavy rain occurs I have a leak coming in. I bought the powder concrete mix and tried to fill the channel completely but could not and I simply covered the opening up. Is this enough or is the channel supposed to be filled completely? Thanks a lot Tec.

Reply to
Tecumseh

? Hey all, ? There is a 8" deep circular channel the circumference of a dime that goes ? into my poured foundation wall.(from where the forms were used.) It's ? cement covering has come off and when heavy rain occurs I have a leak coming ? in. ? I bought the powder concrete mix and tried to fill the channel completely ? but could not and I simply covered the opening up. Is this enough or is the ? channel supposed to be filled completely?

I don't understand your description, there shouldn't be a "channel" going through your wall, it should be solid cement. The only thing I can think of about the size of a dime is a snap tie, and in that case, the snap tie should still be in the wall.

Is the hole the shape of a cone?

In any case, it should be sealed on the outside of the wall. Once water gets into a concrete wall, damage is already being done, whether or not it penetrates to the space inside the wall.

It can be parged and dampproofed from the outside, but any fix from the inside is temporary at best. I've written about it on my web page. It's available here:

Another suggestion I would make is to take a picture of it, post it to a web site, and give us the URL. That way, we can all look at it, and we may be able to give you an answer that way.

Best of luck, and let us know how it comes out!

Reply to
Lyle B. Harwood

(Snipped)> >

If you mean that this "hole" was used to insert bolts tightening the shutter, the forms, while the concrete wall was cast, poured-in, then it should have been closed for good. It's a contractor small mistake.

Fill it up completely otherwise your small "plug" may pop-off anytime. It would also be good to cover that location, from outside, with a flexible waterproof material, asphalt coatings or the like, as your cement-based "plugging" will probably crack or de-bond a bit at circumference, allowing water to enter. Cheers Daniel

Reply to
Daniel

Thanks Daniel, I will do as you suggested. Cheers yourself Thanks Tec

Reply to
Tecumseh

? It is a cylinder 8" long and dime circumference going into the wall from the ? inside. It is where the forms were used. ? Thanks for your concerns and response BTW.

It's where the forms were used?

What does that mean?

Reply to
Lyle B. Harwood

That wall must have been done with metallic formwork. See a photo and the bottom sketch at

(In French, sorry, but the photos are self-explanatory) When they removed the formwork and the "bolts", they left the hole opened or poorly plugged.

I got his point (I hope) because I share a handicap with Tec: Poor technical english language Him, because he is not from the trade. Me, because I am French :-)

If you have 5 mn, post here the proper words to name those formworks and "bolts", thanks Cheers Daniel

Reply to
Daniel

Tres Bien. Je'mapel un grande idiott. Thx Daniel.

Reply to
Tecumseh

No, no, you would be "un grand idiot" if you would be supposed to be a construction professional... What you are is called in French "un debutant" Now, translate :-) Cheers Daniel

Reply to
Daniel

OK, You have got me Daniel..... Where are you from out of curiosity?

Reply to
Tecumseh

I am French. I may say "I was French"... I left France 24 years ago, worked as an expat employee in the Middle East (Saudi Arabia, Dubai) and South East Asia (Singapore, Philippines, Malaysia) and eventually set-up my own small business in Thailand. All that within the building industry. Why Thailand? If you could see a photo of "her", you would understand :-)

I post here and a bit at alt.architecture simply to stay in touch with what is going on in the West in my trade. Cheers Daniel

Reply to
Daniel

Very cool....come on let's see a PIK ;-) Later

Reply to
Tecumseh