Laying a brick walkway

I've put down sand prior to laying the first red brick of a walkway to the front door. I've got 2-3 inches of sand simply because this brings the level up to the bottom of the steps to the door.

Is it better to have less sand? Is it better to build up earth rather than sand to achieve the desired levels? WIll this be an issue over time?

This is intended to be a sand-only project, no mortar or concrete.

FBt

Reply to
Esther & Fester Bestertester

Different weather and soil conditions make for different ideal foundations. Generally more, deeper foundations are best. Two inches of sand is about right, I would like it better if you told me you have three inches of well compacted crushed stone under that. In some areas just three inches of sand will not make for a good surface. However if it is not right, the great thing about laying a walk this is the ability to pick it up and repair or totally relay it.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Great site. Perhaps overkill for a path...

CWatters