kitchen cabinets or flooring first?

I'm in the process of remodeling the lower level of the house with the focus on remodeling the kitchen. I plan to install wood flooring over my on grade concrete slab. Most likely an engineered floating floor (although I have toyed with a glue down). So my question for the group is should I install wall to wall flooring and then set cabinets on top? Or cabinets on concrete and run flooring up to the cabinet?

I was going to do the latter, I thought way pay for flooring that nobody sees. But I've built a kitchen island (60x30") that is a "furniture look" and is cabinets supported by legs at each corner (and hidden center leg). Consequently you can see under it somewhat (legs are about 2" tall) so the flooring has be run under it. And since I haven't decided on a flooring yet I don't know the final thickness. So if I put the other cabinets on the concrete I need to compensate in the height to match the flooring thickness to get the island and cabinets the same height. So I thought heck with it, make them all the same height and set them on a finished floor. I've heard of people doing so but wanted to get the groups opinion. Any real down sides? Does it effect the ability of a floating floor to expand/contract? Thanks! Mark

Reply to
Mark

It will be a little harder to replace the flooring if it continues under the cabinets (DAMHIK). The weight of the cabinets on the floating floor will have an effect on the expansion/contraction.

Reply to
Willshak