Kitchen Cabinet Bottoms to support Granite Counter top

Is there anything a person has to do as far as beefing up the base cabinets so it can hold the weight of a granite counter top?

Reply to
bdeditch

"bdeditch" wrote in news:1170522836.430467.295910 @j27g2000cwj.googlegroups.com:

No. Unless you have especially "wimpy" cabinets, they will handle the weight with no problem.

Reply to
Old Fangled

Old Fangled is right, most cabinets will hold the weight of granite just fine. The thing you might need to worry about is if you have an exceptionally large overhang, like for a bar. It is a good idea to brace any over hang over 10 inches.

If you have any doubt about the sturdiness of your cabinets or any other questions about installing your granite contact a local granite installation company.

carrollstileandstone

or narrow sections - like where you have a hob or sink cut-out.

Reply to
CWatters

Colin,

yer talkin to a bunch of Merkins here. Splain what a hob is.

Reply to
John Reddy

I'd worry more about the floor system (if its an island design) if its not slab on grade before I worry about the cabinets taking the weight. I've seen a couple sad results where a home owner remodeled there kitchen. Put in an island system in the middle of the floor span with granite counters and promptly cracked the grout joints on his tile floor when the counters were installed after the tiling was done.

2x10 floor joists with 14ft span wouldn't take the additional mid-span weight without the deflection which took out the grout.
Reply to
decaturbob2k

Fur not! From Wiki: Hob - the top cooking surface on a cooker (referred to as a 'stove top' in the United States) in the United Kingdom, Singapore, and other parts of the commonwealth. It typically comprises several cooking elements (often four), also known as 'rings'

There's a pun in there somewhere about the rings of the nubile lungs... ;)

RicodJour