Just 2" frame for vinyl window in concrete?

I will have egress windows cut into my concrete basement walls (9" thick), will use standard 48" x 48" slider or casement windows.

Tow contractors told me they simply frame the freshly cut concrete with 2 inch "green pressure treated lumber" and then set the window. (They will do more for a header if needed for space alignment or structural needs.)

But just a singe 2" board sound too fast and easy. Is there a "proper" way or am I must use to doing things the hard way?

Thx Dave-in-Denver

Reply to
Dave in Denver

That is 1 proper way to do it . the only other consideration is how wide do you want the trim around the window? 1 1/2' or 3 " wide. what kind of window trim do you have? . I would probably go for 2 trimmers so I could trim the window out with something wider.

Reply to
Mike

I guess I wasnt paying attention I thaught a patio door slider was going in. 2X framing is all that is needed One idea is to use 2X10 treated boards and trim out the opening this will give you a nice wide sill and window well

Reply to
Mike

By the way there are some really junky basement windows out there. I ripped out the builder grade and installed Pella in my house. Used 10x2 treated lumber to trim it out.

Reply to
Art

That is how I've done them. I've also set aluminum framed windows in concrete sand mix all around. I've seen some that I've done 40 years ago and they are still in use.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

What do you think you'd need? It's not like it's structural. All it needs to do is support the window in the hole and give the builder a place to drive the nails that hold the window in.

Reply to
mkirsch1

Thanks a lot gents!

So 2" treated lumber seems to be OK then!

I put Schuco window in my entire house 2 years ago... Very happy with them. But for a basement egress window I was going to order Milgard via Home Depot. Any other suggestions for a standard "rack" window.

Thx Dave-in-Denver

Reply to
Dave in Denver