Joint Sand Stabilizer Between Stepping Stones

I want to understand applications for joint sand stabilizer and see if there is a better solution for my case.

I have some stepping stones, with about two inches between each stone. The stepping stones are leveled on compacted sand. Between each stepping stone we placed some large smooth four-inch rocks, and then buried those in sand, brought to the edge of the stepping stones. We want a way to "seal" in the stepping stones, the leveled sand between them, and the small smooth rocks buried in that sand. Will joint sand stabilizer do that? It looks like most applications for this stabilizer require something more like pavers where the stones are tightly joined together and sand is a filler for cracks only, not wide gaps between the stepping stones.

Of course concrete could be used for something like this, but I'm not crazy about the look of concrete. I wanted a more natural look and just a hard epoxy-like layer on top to seal in the materials below. Unlikely this area will see more than about 250 pounds of weight.

What are the best options for sealing in the materials used here?

I would consider mixing sand and concrete and light washing after the stones are set and the concrete is hardened. j

[...]

Reply to
jloomis