Is Home Depot shafting shoppers? "Home Depot is a consistent abuser of its customers' time."

Page 2 of 4
Stephen Blackpool wrote:

http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com/Investing/Extra/HomeDepotShaftingShoppers.aspx?GT1 15
[...]
Is your name really "Stephen Blackpool?" Or did you read the novel and said: "This is my life?"
"Blackpool provides a stark contrast to these earlier characters. One of the Hands in Bounderby's factory, Stephen lives a life of drudgery and poverty...
"Stephen is an important character ... because he finds himself in the midst of a labor dispute that illustrates the strained relations between rich and poor. Stephen is the only Hand who refuses to join a workers' union: he believes that striking is not the best way to improve relations between factory owners and employees, and he also wants to earn an honest living. As a result, he is cast out of the workers' group. However, he also refuses to spy on his fellow workers for Bounderby, who consequently sends him away...."
Well, as I recall, and it's been a few years now, I couldn't have my girl Rachael and then I falls into a hole in the ground but now I work at the Home Depot.
Stephen Blackpool wrote:

http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com/Investing/Extra/HomeDepotShaftingShoppers.aspx?GT1 15
I am surprised that anyone is surprised. Big box stores are interested in wiping out all of the small stores. To do that they had to make themselves look like good guys at first. Once they decimate the small stores they can cut way back on staff and raise prices.
George wrote:

They could, but they don't. If you can point to one single monopoly that HAS raised prices in a captive market, I'd be surprised (except for professional sports and government-sanction monopolies like utilities).
In fact, the biggest monopoly ever (Standard Oil) - the poster boy for all that's evil about large companies - managed to lower the price of Kerosene from $3.00/gallon to five cents in less than three years! Of course this put the whale-oil suppliers out of business...
HeyBub wrote:

Microsoft, and with Vista
user wrote:

You're right. Even considering inflation, Vista costs more than Windows 95. But with the greater productivity of Vista, users make more money and, hence, can pay more. The additional cost is still a lower percentage of their disposable income than was Win95.
Even so, Vista is not the same product (like Kerosene or nails).

Vista hasn't greater productivity. Quite the opposite actually as vista users will spend most of their time staring at the hourglass whereas a windows 95 user could get some usefull work done with a pentium I.
Unless, of course, you supply Vista with at least 6 ghz of processor, 4GB of ram, etc.

LOL!!!! I didn't know Bill Gates was holding you down making you purchase Vista!
Larry Bud wrote:

Excuse me? Read my headers, asshole
I find that basic hardware items are unavailable at my local HD's. I guess the lack of ability to make big profits on such items as steel rivets keeps HD from stocking them. It's really bad when it's easier to start out shopping at a small hardware store 15 miles away rather than checking at the local HD about 2 miles away because usually the HD either won't have or doesn't stock what you need.

I have a love/hate relationship with Home Depot. I love it because it is convenient and they carry many common items that you need for a home. I hate them because of the service that they provide. I asked a guy where I could find three prong outlets and he commented that I could have just broken off the third prong and it would have worked. Not all of them are that bad but its hard to find good help. I tend to go to Lowes when I am shopping for anything that I feel would look good in the home such as lighting and crown moulding. I go to Home Depot when I am fixing a wall or repairing pipes.

Great advice. I broke off a prong yesterday in fact.
Drastic91 wrote:

Hah, The interior doorknobs and registers I bought from Lowes a little over 3 years ago are losing their brass(?) plating. The chrome light fixture I got at the same time is rusting.
I'm not saying HD's stuff is any better, on the contrary, I've learned to avoid the big box stores when I need "nice looking" stuff now.
--
Art

Yeah, but around here (New Hampshire), I have yet to see a True Value or other like hardware store go under. When I dtalk to the owner's they say HD and Loews address a different market.
I only go to the big ones on Sunday for wood. No where else to get it.
-Jim
At least you have choices. In my small town, all we have is a Menard's. Staffed only by retarded teenagers who avoid customer contact at all costs.

If the manager is near suicide daily, it would be understandable. :-(
Mitch wrote:

I have to say that the Menard's stores near me have people who go out of their way to make sure you're finding what you're looking for, almost to the point of wishing they'd ignore you.
Almost. :)
--
Martians drive SUVs! <http://oregonmag.com/MarsWarm307.html

I'm like Goldilocks. I don't like it when I can't find anyone, nor when they are always talking to me.
I really don't like it when someone greets me at HD at the door to sell me a credit card.
First, she ruins the fantasy I'm having about all the great hardware I will but and build great things with. Or at least I forget what I came there for.
Second, the rates are outrageous and she'd do me more good working on the floor. They have someone there about 2/3rds of the time.
That person is there to deter shoplifters from walking out the "in" door with merchandise. The credit cards are just gravy....

On Sat, 10 Mar 2007 17:55:22 -0500, "justadilettante"

OK, that's better. Thanks. (I still wish she wouldn't talk to me.)