is a 10" step code?

Friend of mine is having a house built by David Weekly Homes (huge builder.)
He was expecting to get a garage floor like this: http://www.rondarling.name/pics/v/rondarling/mynewhouse/IMG_8954.JPG.html
and now has this: http://www.rondarling.name/pics/v/rondarling/mynewhouse/album_001/IMG_9720.JPG.html
The ledge you see is 10" on the far end and 14" on the other.
There is not going to be a wall on that ledge - the garage was to be part car parking, part work shop with a 'small step' between the 2 to keep car gunk (like snow) from invading the work space.
The builder currently is not going to change it.
10" is a bit of a step. I am wondering if it isn't a code violation, which should compel the builder to do something.
Anyone have any advice?
Carl K
Another 4" of concrete would be a simple cure. Taper off at the entrance.
--
Steve Barker

"Carl K" < snipped-for-privacy@personnelware.com> wrote in message
Or a hand rail
message

Glenn wrote:

Eight inches max case closed
Or an elevator.

Steve Barker LT wrote:

Can you just pour over existing like that? I would think it would crack, especially the 'taper' part.

longshot wrote:

: The thinnest part should be at least 3" : thick, I have seen them done like you are saying & the taper part needs to : be dugout, the remaining part could stay
To make Ron (friend/homeowner) happy, they would have to fill up the whole 10-14", less the 1" lip/gunk trap. (at this point maybe even fill the whole way and leave a 2" trough that could be covered with a grate.
Which means the drive way would also have to be fixed to meet the higher floor. The taper would end up at the curb.
Ron is looking at another lot.
Call the local building department... and let them deal with this through the building permit..definate violation not matter what state you are in. I would take this as a sign that bigger in not always better......and keep an eye on this guys subs. Carl K wrote:

http://www.rondarling.name/pics/v/rondarling/mynewhouse/album_001/IMG_9720.JPG.html
I'm not convinced that there is a code violation here. I'll check the IRC 2003 tomorrow to be sure.
I don't believe the code says that you would have to have a "stair" here. Its less than 30" so you wouldn't even have to have a guardrail.
Now, if you decide to install stairs between these two floors, those stairs would have to meet the codes which would include a maximum riser height of 7 3/4" and a minimum tread depth of 10".
Shannon Pate

If putting in stairs will bring it up to code, then the builder has an "out." Ron wanted to be able to walk between the work area and the car on the same level, like your basic auto shop.
I was hoping to hear it was enough of a screw up that they would have to rip out the current cement and do it again.
filling it with cement seems like the answer.
Thanks for the comments.
Shannon Pate wrote:

snipped-for-privacy@personnelware.com says...

http://www.rondarling.name/pics/v/rondarling/mynewhouse/album_001/IMG_9720.JPG.html
To comply with the IRC the builder needs to build a stairway (one step) from the 'parking area level' to the 'shop area level'. Resulting in two risers between 5" to 7" tall ... depending on it's location. Guard rails are not required because the difference between the two walking surfaces is less than 30". A hand rail at the stairway is not required because there will only be two risers. .... I'm going from memory ... code books are at work.
I'd be interested in knowing what exactly, was on the plans. Was a 10" step in the drawings? Was any step spec'd? Because if it doesn't match the plans, than the building permit office would probably be interested in talking to the contractor.
Carl K wrote:

http://www.rondarling.name/pics/v/rondarling/mynewhouse/album_001/IMG_9720.JPG.html
It's doubtful that it's a code violation (unless the water heater is located in the garage area-18 inch min.). I don't believe that it could qualify as being a "stairway". Still, he could check with the local building department to see if they would rule this a "stairway". (The maximum rise allowed is 7-3/4 inch and this does present a tripping hazard in moving from one level to another.) If they did rule that way, the builder would then be responsible for the correction.
The fix is simple enough, pour another layer of concrete onto the existing pad. The question is, who's paying? The builder knows how much cost is involved, and no doubt he will fight it all the way to court. (Is your friend willing to pay an extra $grand to have it fixd? May be the only way.)
One other (less desirable possibility) is to frame out the garage section and leave just a passage way into the shop area. The treat that small 3 ft. section as a stairs and add a second step to create a true stairway. The builder would probably be willing to bear this cost (as it's minor) and your friend would have some relief in that it would appear aesthetically appealing and have a feel that it was planned that way. (Something to consider.)

http://www.rondarling.name/pics/v/rondarling/mynewhouse/album_001/IMG_9720.JPG.html