Interlocking Pavers

I am doing a walk with 8" x 8" Pavers. I will be using aluminum edges and I want to know if I can can install them with the bottom flat on the inside of the walk. After all the aluminum is not very thick. I understand that I should used one inch of sand to say them in. How much does the sand compress when I use the tamper? The reason I ask that is that along one edge I want it about 1/4" above a paved driveway.

Reply to
Ben

Ben wrote on 02 Oct 2007 in group alt.building.construction:

As long as you have sand between the bottom of the paver and the top of the edging, it should work.

Prepare your sand bed carefully. Grade the subsoil, then tamp it as hard as you can get it. Put down the recommended amount of sand, and tamp it well.

1" of sand will compress up to 1/2", depending on conditions. Plan on testing by spreading some, then packing, then doing it again. It will compress again after you put the pavers on and compact those.

Rent a plate compactor. If your walk is more than about five feet long, your arms will fall off using a manual tamper.

Reply to
Steve