Installing stair spindles

Before I drill the first hole in my wood steps and railing, is there any pointers out there I should use? How you you drill a straight hole? Do I use a homemade jig by drilling it on the drill press? I would appreciate any tips. Thanks Jeff

Reply to
<doccook

A jig would be great & drilling in a drill press is always better than by hand....

but I usually just eyeball it since making is jig for a one off job is questionable (but I&#39;ve done it)

One way to increase off hand drill accuracy is to use a 12" extension drill, improves your sight line

never used one of these but thye might help

cheers Bob

Reply to
Bobk207