Installing stair spindles

Before I drill the first hole in my wood steps and railing, is there any pointers out there I should use? How you you drill a straight hole? Do I use a homemade jig by drilling it on the drill press? I would appreciate any tips. Thanks Jeff
snipped-for-privacy@charterinternet.com wrote:

A jig would be great & drilling in a drill press is always better than by hand....
but I usually just eyeball it since making is jig for a one off job is questionable (but I've done it)
One way to increase off hand drill accuracy is to use a 12" extension drill, improves your sight line
never used one of these but thye might help
http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid121
http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page $05&gcid1135x003-0&keyword=Portable+Drill+Guide&cookietest=1
cheers Bob