Installing cavity wall insulation

Hi folks,
I am thinking of replacing all of my windows and just wonder if instead of having holes drilled all over my harled walls, is it possible or feasible to have the insulation blown into the cavities when the old windows are removed. Or perhaps could I get access to the cavity via the loft - is the cavity wall insulation material sprayable so that it could be done this sort of way? Just trying to plan ahead.
Neil
neilr wrote:

Before anyone on this side of the pond asks... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harl
The typical size holes required for blowing in insulation would seriously compromise the structural framing surrounding the windows. So, no, it really can't be done that way. Access from above is possible for the majority of the wall, but there will be areas where that won't work (under windows, etc), and the hole size through the top plates would still be an issue (and the location would make them difficult to drill). With blown in insulation you have to decide whether you want to perforate the exterior or interior of the house. It can be a tough choice.
yea its kinda hard to say
there are 2 different methods one is a foam that expands and fills the area Personally i dont like that stuff because then the wall is solid foam and you can never run wires or pipes without tearing iit apart
but there is the fiberglass and celulose material that can be blown into walls. It is a good choice if you dont already have insulation but it usually requires a hole at the top and bottom of the wall so that pressure can excape as the wall is filled
going through the plates of the wall which are the horozontal top and bottom parts of the wall is not pratical for many reasons
first lumber isnt supose to have that large a hole cut in it and if you do cut a hole for a pipe then the rest of the plate is still in tact
if you are putting holes every 16 inches in the plates then you will tare apart the structure of your house and a good wind or snow will blow it over
so i am not really sure what the best method for you is but you can bet that many people in your area have had the exact same thing done to their homes.
so contact someone that has done it before and ask if they can let you go see a house they did it to. Or ask some neighbors
they can put holes on the inside or outsides of buildings and if you have stone then you are more limited.
Its not rocket science but you do need skill to do it cleanly
I would worry most about getting the area right arround the window sealed and for that you can use either foam in a can or stuff the area with fiberglass insulation
bob marencin

Bob, thanks for your thoughts. As I suspected I don't think there is a simple alternative to drilling holes all over the outside walls. Rather annoyingly the house underwent major (interior) renovation just a year ago. If we had thought about it then, we could have had it drilled/injected through the inside walls. There are a lot of housed in the area who have had this done, but all seem to have it installed through drilling the outside walls. I thought it might be useful to ask here first, for alternatives before speaking to the insulation companies. I will also investigate the fibreglass alternative.
Neil