IBC 2006 Fire codes

I am having trouble with a restaurant next door (same landlord). They ran their oven exhaust and ventilation ductwork into my retail store, through my wall, ceiling and roof. It is "boxed-in" with T-bar and ceiling panels. I can't believe that this is a legal structure. The code inspector said, "It's not hot." I told him there, currently, was no fire engulfing the restaurant. I can reference IBC 2000 303.2.2 :

"302.3.3 Separated uses: Each portion of the building shall be individually classified as to use shall be completely separated from adjacent areas by a fire barrier walls or horizontal assemblies or both having a fire resistance rating determined in accordance with Table 302.3.3 for the uses being separated, Each fire area shall comply with the code based on the use of that space."

Can someone PLEASE post, or send, a verbatim wording of the updated code. I think it is 508.3.3.

Also, as I understand it, local codes can be more stringent than IBC, but not less. How much room is there for interpretation?

Thank you in advance.

Reply to
sideshowhaas

Don't have the code so can't help there.

On the other questions, I think it is up to the local jurisdiction to elect to follow any particular code, write their own, or not bother. You'll need to find out what the actual code is for the jurisdiction you're in and see what it actually is.

If the particular inspector let something go by which doesn't meet that level of code, then you have a beef and can go to next level of supervision about it.

What IBC says may or may not have any bearing. There's a good chance it's what is used, but the folks at City Hall can tell you that and should be able to provide reference as well.

--

Reply to
dpb

The restraunt is an A2 occupancy, your retail store is a B occupancy. Table

302.3.2 does not require a rated separation between the these two occupancies. Only a separation is needed or he probably classified the entire building as a nonseparated structure (worst case governs).

I don't know if this is worth anything or not but, the IMC requires that the duct be enclosed throughout it's length "for shaft construction" (which sounds like what they are achieving). Horizontal ducts which are inaccessible from the duct entry or discharge (which would be the case here, unless you gave permission for inspection), are required to have a cleanout every 20 feet. Section 506.9 of IMC.

When you say "they ran .. ductwork" did you mean 'before' you were a tenant or after? If after, would require your permission. Before (IMO) you had the chance to refuse to rent.

If it's the sound your objecting to, talk with your landlord and have him provide additional soundproofing. There are some new type of sound-reducing gypsum available now that work wonders and are not too expensive.

Reply to
Dennis