I want my own 100 gallon propane tank.

Page 2 of 4

*OR* a more plausible explanation is a combination of older gas appliances which had primitive safety devices in them with a sudden spike or dip in the natural gas pressure in the area of your in-laws house blew out a pilot light in one of those appliances and the gas built up in the house until one of the other pilot lights still lit or a spark from some automatic electrical appliance ignited the gas in the house...
Anyone who immediately jumps to assume sabotage without having actual evidence of that being likely (reports of strange people/vehicles near a house that soon after goes BOOM! by impartial witnesses) is a paranoid idiot...
~~ Evan

Steve said sabotage was suspected, not assumed. That's a big difference and I'm surprised you missed it. The investigator would be the idiot if they did not investigate fully - even the improbable causes.
On Fri, 16 Sep 2011 12:25:28 -0700 (PDT), Evan

Don't know if this was discussed here before I was around. Worth mentioning. There were a bunch of defective flex NG hoses on the market. Those hoses are most common on ranges and clothes dryers. I replaced the ones in this house with new hoses because I didn't know how old the hoses were. Can't find anything about it now. About 10 years ago. I'll bet there's plenty of those bad hoses out there waiting to fail.
--Vic
willshak wrote:

It does the same to a lot of people and yet all those people think nothing about riding around for hours on top of 10-20 gallons of gasoline.
--

dadiOH
____________________________
dadiOH wrote:

The gasoline itself isn't that dangerous, it's the air and fuel vapor mixture in the tank that is the explosive part. They build bombs using that concept, and they are the most powerful bombs made short of a nuke.
Jon

Who is "They" and can you give an example of a powerful bomb that uses an "air and fuel vapor mixture" as the explosive?
On Sep 15, 3:34pm, snipped-for-privacy@sdf.lNoOnSePsAtMar.org (Larry W) wrote:

This topic has come up before on a.h.r
FAE is well know in military circles.
All one needs is the mixture of air (oxygen) and a suitable fuel and an ignition source.
Fuel can be any combustible liquid or combustible solid of fine enough particles (hence the danger of empty grain silos or fine wood dust in your shop)
FAE is why the 100ml (3 oz) liquid limit for airline carry on and why they want to be able to see the stuff.
http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/dumb/fae.htm
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9xCgNdZPKk
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermobaric_weapon http://www.bordeninstitute.army.mil/other_pub/blast/Blast_monograph.pdf
cheers Bob

I'm not disputing that. But I have never heard of a bomb that used a grain silo or wood shop as one if its parts.

On Fri, 16 Sep 2011 22:01:55 +0000 (UTC), snipped-for-privacy@sdf.lNoOnSePsAtMar.org (Larry W) wrote:

On Thu, 15 Sep 2011 22:34:52 +0000 (UTC), snipped-for-privacy@sdf.lNoOnSePsAtMar.org (Larry W) wrote:

On Thu, 15 Sep 2011 22:34:52 +0000 (UTC), snipped-for-privacy@sdf.lNoOnSePsAtMar.org (Larry W) wrote:

On Thu, 15 Sep 2011 19:58:31 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

MOAB isn't an FAE, rather a 21,000lb HE bomb (GBU-43/B).
On Thu, 15 Sep 2011 13:18:03 -0700, "Jon Danniken"

60 years, gasoline wouldn't stand a chance of being approved as a motor fuel today. - and thos bombs do NOT use gasoline, generally. They use Kero, Diesel, or Jet fuel. (more energy per lb, for one thing, and safer to handle)
Jon Danniken wrote:

Yeah, the vapor.
Along about 1966 I was living on my boat in Ala Wai Harbor in Honolulu. Just across the channel was Ala Wai Marine...a marine store, drydock, fix anything place. It was the fourth of July and the marina was closed but one of the employees was busy doing something directly across from me. Maybe 60-70 yards away. All of a sudden there was a tremendous explosion (and fire ball) and the guy was dead.
The owner of the marina was a friend of mine and I later talked to him about the accident. Turned out the guy had been grinding on an old barrel that had once contained diesel fuel. The barrel had been long empty and had been filled with water and emptied numerous times - may have been filled with water at the time, don't recall - but there were still enough vapors left to explode from the sparks when he cut through with the grinder.
--

dadiOH
____________________________

I recently brazed a gasoline tank with no problems. My solution was to let it dry for a few weeks under the sun, and fill it with water almost all the way, up to 1/2" away from the top. Nothing happened.
Ignoramus8416 wrote:

A veces tienes suerte (sometimes you get lucky). Maybe because gasoline is more volatile than diesel?
--

dadiOH
____________________________

I would list these reasons:
1) It is more volatile and had enough time and heat to escape most fumes. 2) 1/2 inch space above water, does not create enough room for a big conflagration 3) Your neighbor probably embelished things a bit about how much he purged the barrel 4) Solid oily gunk may have been left in the barrel, and it evaporated due to heat and then exploded.
On Sat, 17 Sep 2011 10:06:44 -0500, Ignoramus8416

What kind of tank? I tried soldering the leaking gas tank seam of a 1976 Chevy Caprice in 1981. Maybe a 20 gallon tank. Emptied it, put it on the ground and did 3 full fill-agitate-rinse cycles with detergent laced water, then filled again as much as I could to solder the seam. Probably 80% full. I could barely detect a very slight gas smell.
As soon as I put the torch on the seam it exploded flame a yard out the big sender unit hole. It was quite a bang and knocked me on my ass. Lucky I didn't blow my head off. Went to the boneyard and a got a perfectly good tank for 20 bucks. Until I stapled my finger 25 years later, trying to solder that tank was my record for stupidity. Not knocking your success, but you'll never find me putting heat on a fuel tank again.
--Vic

I gave mine two weeks to dry under hot sun. Plus, the volume after filling with water, was minuscule. The first thing I did was stick a torch inside, to check.
Ignoramus8416 wrote:

I'm glad you are careful.
--

dadiOH