I want convert some cellar area in my apartment building to a dwelling unit

I want convert some cellar area in my apartment building to a dwelling unit in NYC, is it possible and how difficult it is to get approval?
Talk to the City Planner with your proposal. You will only get guessing here. Also your zoning is important. john