HVAC units in attic?

I have another question about my new house. My inspector found that my HVAC units in the attic are installed upright. That's fine, but they're installed directly into the secondary drain pan. My inspector is having

I suppose I should have finished my question!!
In any case, my inspector is concerned that the HVAC units sitting directly in the drain pan is a problem. The builder is claiming that it's installed per the local code. I am concerned that the entire purpose of the drain pan is to collect water. And the steel bottom of the HVAC unit will be sitting in water. I'm worried about a corrosion problem.
Is it normal to install HVAC units upright in an attic? Is there a problem with that? Should those units be sitting on cinder blocks instead of directly in the pan?
(In case you can't tell, I'm a complete newb when it comes to home construction. I appreciate any help you can provide.)
my attic has had one in it for twenty years with no problems
Installed upright? Or Vertical? Strange setup. The pan is an emergency overflow. Keep your filter clean, and the A/W coil should never freeze up to allow the overflow to be used.
--
remove one of the @\'s unless you are a spammer.