How to trim widows with arch (semi-circle) top?

Page 3 of 5
Calm yourself.
It's not *our* team, it's our *club's junior* team. The info I gave is available on my site, and the "little one", who's bigger than most men, understands angular momentum pretty well....hehe...I'm already prepared for the call from the her new high school's office if/when she gets to demonstrate that fact to the presumptuous...
I'm new to the group, and while some of the natives might reply with a bit more bellicosity than I would to some posters, they've been friendly and respectful to me. I understand their stance however, coming from a 'warrior culture' myself.
(See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Culture_of_Montenegro )
I'll try to treat everyone with respect and I probably won't be perceived as trying to get free anything out of anyone, which pisses off a lot of people. For me newsgroups are a give-and-take operation. I always use my real name on newsgroups, and conduct myself accordingly.
--

MichaelB
www.michaelbulatovich.ca

Michael Bulatovich wrote:

hockey league in the world, and we happen to live dead-center in it. The participation rate for girls is exploding but has been limited by the availability of ice time, as boys' clubs have their ice contracts grandfathered since the dawn of time. Girls have to wait for new ice to be built, which is not too much longer for my daughter's club:

http://www.insidetoronto.com/to/etobicoke/story/3769657p-4360017c.html?loc=etobicoke
Small world, I had a daughter who was 14, 20 years ago, it's time to start worrying. I worked at 666 the Queensway servicing antenna's before cable, good enough money but dead-end. Also wired hockey rinks PA systems, I loved height. Good Luck Ken

You mean I shouldn't have spent the last 14 years worrying?
Michael Bulatovich wrote:

That's just practice. The $1,000 for wedding pix will be a relief, when you say "is that all" (gulp). There will be interesting stuff between now and then. ((Actually we're lucky we regard our daughter and spouse and their daughter as best friends)). Ken
Michael Bulatovich wrote:

Ummm...if I said which four nations, would that give you a clue? ;)
That's very cool about your kids' league. I understand, to a point, the incidental contact thing - it's similar in women's lacrosse here. It makes it a very different sport than what the guys' play. Do they still wear all of that body armor?
It was interesting to see that some of the girls had aspirations of getting a hockey scholarship to a college in the US. Is that a common aspiration for college-bound kids in Canada? That's one of the things about the Canadian/USA-ian schism. You have the provinces, and we act provincial. I don't think I've ever heard a kid say they wanted to go to college overseas or over a border or even through the woods. Usually it's I want to go to Italy for junior year abroad.
I was also pleased to see that they included the grade point averages on the roster bios. It helps to keep things in perspective and let the kids know that all of the stuff matters, not just sports.
That hockey stick you mentioned you were thinking of getting your daughter - I have no idea what they cost, but I know from my high school days and from my hockey puck friends back then that it's an _expensive_ sport. Particularly if the little buggers insist on growing. Maybe it would be cheaper to just give her your credit card and send her to the mall...? "Don't bankrupt Daddy, dear. Home by ten. Kisses!" ;)

Oh yes. There are still boards, and sticks, and pucks (not to mention the 2 minute minors for body checking, roughing, slashing etc). The game *is* quite different as a result, though. You have to skate better, and you have to play better positionally because you can't use an easy body check to break up a play. However, like with the guys, if you skate around with your head down-POW. (Even if it is an accident, you can still get shaken up. My kid recently got 2 minutes for flattening a smaller girl who skated into her at full speed with her head down. It was quite a collision. No injuries, though.)

: )

The american schools have the money for full scholarships, so that's where the girls aim. Plus, if you're *really good*, you can go to an "ivy league" school for free and impress everyone with your credentials for the rest of your working life.

That's why I included the link. The demographic of girls hockey versus boys is dramatic. The parents of the girls have more education, and generally make more money. The girls themselves are often great students and role models for younger kids. We were at a family dinner a while back and the high-powered NYC lawyer wing of the family flew into town for it. They were all thrilled that we were into it, and they credited much of their corporate success on having played themselves when they were young. Especially the women. They said it taught them compete as part of a team. (Women are traditionally encourage to play individual sports in North America.)

Amen. A cheap one-piece composite is about $80 CDN, and a really choice one is $300-450. That's just the stick. My girl shattered a $170 two-piece composite a month ago. Now we're chewing up the cheaper one-piecers. They are getting cheaper and better because of the scale of production.
Michael Bulatovich wrote:

Ummm, not around here (NY). The girls play basketball, soccer, volleyball, lacrosse, like that. It's much less common, rather than the rule, for girls to be involved in individual sports. It may have to do with available space and time.

$400 for a STICK?! You're not buying them from US defense contractors by any chance, are you?
Dude, you'd better count on that scholarship and start billing clients per minute for the phone calls.

You'll note I said we're chewing up the cheap ones. I don't have that kind of dough.
At a tournament last summer a kid on the ice shattered a stick, and a guy sitting near me yells, "Not TWO f*%$ing sticks in ONE game! They're $250 each!"
Michael Bulatovich wrote:

What's the main advantage of the composite sticks? Is there really any significant advantage for anyone short of the pros?
Thanks for answering some questions for the hockey-clueless (me).

Weight, then amount/consistency of flex in the shaft.
Most kids play with a 1-piece or 2-piece composite around here. The two piece allows you to replace the blade, which generally wears out first for smaller kids, but keep the shaft. When you get bigger and stronger, the shafts start to go before the blades, so you generally switch to 1-piecers, as the shafts are most of the cost, and the 1-piecers perform flex more evenly through the length. If you watch an NHL game you'll see numerous shafts disintegrate. The "woodies" really stand out these days, though there are pros who still use them, and some dads who won't shell out for the new-fangled stuff for the kid.
It's like any sport that involves moving quickly: the lighter your stuff is, the faster you are without additional training. The faster you are, the more success you can have, all other things being equal.
--

MichaelB
www.michaelbulatovich.ca

Like older guys who play golf, but are more interested in the gal in short shorts who drives the refreshment cart.

Are you serious?!? Come on! This guy is a stalker! First he wants to know your daughter's age. Then he wants to know where in Canada you live and the exact sport she's participating in! DO NOT ANSWER THIS GUY'S QUESTIONS! LOOK UP HIS PREVIOUS POSTS! He is a stalker. I'm reporting this, and I'm serious.
- John
RicodJour wrote:

Don't answer that unless you want RicodJour and Don stalking your daughter. Serious. They glean a few facts from your posts, and the next thing you know they're making comments about your personal life, which are comical, because they're clearly based on the few facts they've been able to glean, and not consistant with reality at all, but still disturbing. These guys are stalkers. Real sickos. I've been e-mailed directly at my home address, followed to unrelated newsgroups and harrassed, received thinly veiled death threats... Trust me. It's not worth it. Ignore them. I'm already doing a little precautionary investigating and taking certain safeguards to protect myself from these psychopaths. Don't make the mistakes I did. Ignore them.
- John
Sasquatch wrote:

Nonsense, been posting to this group for 3 years, both of them fella's I'd gladly have into my home for dinner and brews. I regard them as friends. Ken
Ken S. Tucker wrote:

Thanks for the kind words, Ken. About those libations...if you're not going to be wearing pants, there's no way I'm letting you get me drunk. =:O
RicodJour wrote:

I like John, and you and Don, and have been in my share of internet squabbles, shit happens. But when John typed "death threats" I think he's exceeded the 1st amendment by what he implied. He should produce the evidence, or apologize, cuz that's a very serious - slanderous - accusation. Flamelessly Yours, Ken PS: I think you'll need a chaperone, so I feel safe!
RicodJour wrote:

I second Ken's sentiments of course with a BYOB qualification. ;)
As for the pants comment, that could freak John out a little too much and feed into his concerns about the NG in general. LOL
And I think his apparent libel probably has more to do with being a little flame-broiled is all. While Don might like a good BBQ, I doubt he's a cannibal. ;D
Warm Worm wrote:

Screw that! I'm going to Ken's, pants or no.
{pay for my own drinks, hah! who does this guy think he is?!} < muttering to myself
Actually we should all convince Bob Morrison to retire and buy another bar. We need an experienced gaffer. I was thinking something along the lines of Callahan's Saloon.
RicodJour wrote:

For all we know, you and Don could drink Ken out of house and home and make him lose his shirt.

Is that like an authentic western saloon?