How to trim widows with arch (semi-circle) top?

Page 2 of 5
Don wrote:

No, not the whole world. Just a couple of freaks with too much time on your hands. But I'm probably not the only target of your psychosis. I'm not *that* conceited. I'm sure you're generous and spread your madness around, harrassing multiple people in discussion groups, not just me.
- John

<yawn>
You admitted to being a rampant spammer. You crosspost your whines to multiple groups. You post under multiple identities. You seem to be unaware of the world around you. Regular posters have flamed you and now shun you.
No wonder you have no real friends and seek abuse in usenet, its all thats left for you. Pathetic. And hilarious. LOL
Why do you guys keep answering this guy?
I have erased dozens of answers to his silly questions and you keep encouraging him.

Good idea. Anyone who draws a circlehead should be able to trim it out.

Traditionals detailing has a vocabulary and a syntax that we in the modern-postmodern era have to study. Earlier generations of craftsmen knew this language better than today's, so it's not quite correct to say that people didn't spend money on design in those days. It's just that different people did it than today.
For example, when it comes to the porch, the first decision would be what kind of columns are we doing. That decision then steers the decision-making for the smaller elements. A full blown order with entablature deserves classical balusters, a simply-trimmed post does not. A quirky naive order would indicate a similar treatment for the smaller elements, while a rigorous classicism would prejudice the trim set differently. It's "all about context".

True enough. IMHO, the primary pitfall of pattern book solutions is that they can not respond to the particulars of a site or of a user. If every site and family was the same, one house design would be all we ever needed.

I look at the successes of other for that.

I know Fypon's stuff. In my jurisdiction, you would not require a guard for your porch by code. Given the fairly rustic look of the house, and only if the local codes and you family circumstance permit, I would forgo the guard, or go for a very low one (especially if the porch is deep enough to encourage furniture placement and socializing). I would definitely stay away from any Greco-roman balusters or profiles. I'd use humble pickets that don't 'out-do' the rest if the house.
--

MichaelB
www.michaelbulatovich.ca
Michael Bulatovich wrote:

I was thinking short square ballusters from Fypon so that the total height is 26" or 28". That matches some old farmhouses I've found in the area. The ballusters are pretty close together, too--closer than required by code. Is that what you had in mind when you said "a very low one?" Again, we might choose to leave the railing system off altogether, which would be my preference--on less thing to screw up. If we do add railing, it will be the last thing we do on the house at the very end.
I know what you mean by Greco-Roman balusters. For our 8" square HB&G PermaCast columns, our builder pointed at the "Tuscan" cap and base in the catalog. I knew it didn't look right. To me, it looked too "colonial" I said, but in hindsight I think it was what you meant by "Greco-Roman." It just doesn't fit. The old farmhouses I've found that have large square columns have a simple moulding at the top, kind of like a crown moulding, with just a flat cap and a cove moulding underneath. Then the base is just 1x6 clad around the bottom.
- John

Yes, though I'd leave it off if permissible.
--

MichaelB
www.michaelbulatovich.ca
Michael Bulatovich wrote:

Hey Michael. Would it be alright if Squatch emailed you directly for the free design work? That way you could attach sketches and renderings so he'd know what to give to his builder and architect. He already said he was willing to pay. Maybe he could send you the money though PayPal. Thanks.
A true professional with a viable business doesn't need to worry about sharing a little advice. I'm sure he has plenty of *real* work. You can always spot a real pro/expert that way. They never gouge you and bill you for advice or a favor that is virtually free for them. It's kind of like taking a car in for a repair, expecting to pay hundreds, only to have the service manager say, "It's on the house today! It was only a fuse." That's a pro. A loser would lie and say the problem was more serious and still charge a few hundred dollars. ...or whine about another *real* professional sharing some wisdom, which drives you crazy because you're so desparate for work, but there is none, because you're a loser. You're probably one of those gotta-be-my-own-boss-because-no-boss-will-tolerate-me-but-I-can't-make-a-living-self-employed-either types. Lucky guess?
- John
RicodJour wrote:

I didn't even do that, just offered a general opinion on a newsgroup.
--

MichaelB
www.michaelbulatovich.ca
Sasquatch wrote:

They may not need to worry too much about that because they can handle requests and inquiries that, in their opinion, strain or abuse the privilege.
Would you like to recommend your architect to those on the NG who might be in the market down the road?

Assuming it is truely free for them and/or that they consider it as such. Your idea of free may be different. Imagine the two clashing! ;)

There is nothing inherently professional about offering "free samples", especially when one considers hooks, lock-ins or other forms of manipulation. Your expectations may be on-the-money. A free fuse today; a gouge tomorrow.
Did I read that you're a father? Well, here's something that might be of interest in this regard: "Multiple scientific studies show that the industry-sponsored discharge bags undermine breastfeeding, by causing breastfeeding mothers to start using formula... Each bag costs the companies less than $7. A year of formula costs parents up to $2,000, a significant portion of which pays for marketing. The bags are not really 'free' -- they are paid for by families who buy formula."

gotta-be-my-own-boss-because-no-boss-will-tolerate-me-but-I-can't-make-a-living-self-employed-either
Far too many bosses and jobs aren't worth working for or doing, respectively. It works both ways.

Actually that doesn't seem like a bad idea-- even for Sas.

Top posting the general statements...
Re: "free" -
When you pay someone for services, you're paying both for their time, and for the years of study and experinece it took them to get into a position where they have the knowledge (or whatever) that the requester seeks.
Any advice, suggestions, tips, instructions, recommendations, and so on, that *any* professionals offer, is purely at *their* discretion, *their* choice.
In my experience, 99.9% of the time, once one gives out freebies (whether it be advise, samples, coupons, or whatever), the recipients end up just taking it for granted. IMO that is what lies behind someone getting all resentful and cranky when someone declines giving out a freebie. Most recipients begin to think they are somehow "owed" the freebie. And eventually treat the giver as someone who is "supposed" to be at their "i.e. the recipient-wannabes) beck and cdall.
I've had that happen to me time and time and time again, over and over and over. The vast majority of the time, poeple just end up taking advantage and then, eventually and, in my experience inevitably, *undervaluing* whe one has been giving, and place higher value on what they'd paid for.

Yup. IOW, true professionals understands that their time and resources (such as personal energy) are limited, and chooses when to decline requests for freebies (a.k.a. handouts).

As above, it takes time and education and personal application and the sacrifice of other things, for a person to achieve a certain level of expertise, and for some professions, it is far longer than it is for others. In essence, there is no such thing as something being "virtually free for them". If nothing else, they still have to take time and energy away from something else in order to hand out freebies.
Anything that *anyone* gives gratis is at *their own discretion*. Nobody "owes" anyone else anything. Yes, rationally, a general attitude of give-and-take makes things go more smoothly for everyone, but when a particular interaction is all about one person doing all the giving and the other doinbg the taking, the taker is a supplecant and has no right whatsoever to simply *expect* any/all *demands* to be met/fulfilled.
Any tiome anyone posts a question here regarding archetecture/building, and someone answers, it is at *their* discretion, it is *their* choice, and personally ,I appreciate it a lot, especially so because I don't see that I have much of anything to offer back in exchange. I think it is greatly generous when peoiple answer my questions.
But to DEMAND answers/advice, and *then*, to add insult to injury by impugning somepne's professionalism merely because they chose to decline giving away gratis their knowledge and/or experience? If someone did that to me, implies I'm "unprofessional" merely because I did give away my knowledge for free? Well, the word for that is, "killfile". I have nothing to do with people like that.
ANd if I recall, this is not the first time "warm worm" has impugned someone's professionalism for trivial so-called "reasons". IIRC, that includes mine...

Horse-hockey. The pro would still charge for parts and labor. THe time he spent fixing your fuse might have been put, after all, towards a big and expensive job he'd make good money doing. It's at best sheer egotism to *expect* someone do "prove" their professionalism <!!> by doing stuff for free.

Kris Krieger wrote:

If you re-read it and/or go back in the thread, you may realize that who you're apparently agreeing with is Warm Worm not Sasquatch... It might also conveniently support my previous mention of electronic information accuracy, to say nothing of subjective interpretation accuracy. :)

That's a big if, and even if, your recollection may be in error.
"Fool yourself twice, double shame on you." ;)

You mean like SPAMMING? LOL
Come on Veith, *share* your techniques with us. LOL

I'm not drawing anything, though if he/she wants to send me something, there is this new hockey stick I've been thinking about for my daughter....
--

MichaelB
www.michaelbulatovich.ca
Michael Bulatovich wrote:

Not setting your sights too high on that one. ;) How old's your daughter?
wrote in message

14
Michael Bulatovich wrote:

Since you're in Canada, is it safe to assume we're talking ice hockey? Girl's leagues around here are not very common, and the girls that are at that age are more interested in the mall than the rink.
message<BR>&gt;&gt; &gt;&gt;<BR>&gt;&gt; &gt;&gt; &gt; Hey Michael.&nbsp; Would it be alright if Squatch emailed you directly for<BR>&gt;&gt; &gt;&gt; &gt; the free design work?&nbsp; That way you could attach sketches and<BR>&gt;&gt; &gt;&gt; &gt; renderings so he'd know what to give to his builder and architect.&nbsp; He<BR>&gt;&gt; &gt;&gt; &gt; already said he was willing to pay.&nbsp; Maybe he could send you the money<BR>&gt;&gt; &gt;&gt; &gt; though PayPal.&nbsp; Thanks.<BR>&gt;&gt; &gt;&gt;<BR>&gt;&gt; &gt;&gt; I'm not drawing anything, though if he/she wants to send me something,<BR>&gt;&gt; &gt;&gt; there<BR>&gt;&gt; &gt;&gt; is this new hockey stick I've been thinking about for my daughter....<BR>&gt;&gt; &gt;<BR>&gt;&gt; &gt; Not setting your sights too high on that one.&nbsp; ;)&nbsp; How old's your<BR>&gt;&gt; &gt; daughter?<BR>&gt;&gt;<BR>&gt;&gt; 14<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; Since you're in Canada, is it safe to assume we're talking ice hockey?<BR>&gt; Girl's leagues around here are not very common, and the girls that are<BR>&gt; at that age are more interested in the mall than the rink.<BR></DIV> <DIV>Other than the fact that it's fun, and the backdrop of childhood obesity in&nbsp;North America,&nbsp;one of the big attractions for the girls' parents is exactly that:</DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV>They're not hanging out in a mall. <FONT face=Arial size=2>The girls you meet in sports are not the same girls you saw 30 years ago. Take a look at the roster of our junior team:</FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2><A href="http://www.etobicokedolphins.ca/Juniors/#roster.xsl ">http://www.etobicokedolphins.ca/Juniors/#roster.xsl </A>&nbsp;and click on a player. </FONT><FONT face=Arial size=2>Most of them are quite accomplished.</FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV>The NMGHL&nbsp; ( <A href="http://www.nmghl.org /">http://www.nmghl.org /</A>&nbsp;) is probably the most competitive girls hockey league in the world, and we happen to live dead-center in it. The participation rate for girls is exploding but has been limited by the availability of ice time, as boys' clubs have their ice contracts grandfathered since the dawn of time. Girls have to wait for new ice to be built, which is not too much longer for my daughter's club:</DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2><A href="http://www.insidetoronto.com/to/etobicoke/story/3769657p-4360017c.html?loc=etobicoke ">http://www.insidetoronto.com/to/etobicoke/story/3769657p-4360017c.html?loc=etobicoke </A></FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>(PS No hitting in girls' hockey..."incidental contact" only...hehe...)</FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>(PPS Did you catch the recent Four Nations Cup? <A href="http://www.usolympicteam.com/11520_49929.htm ">http://www.usolympicteam.com/11520_49929.htm </A>&nbsp;)</FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV></BODY></HTML>
------=

href=" wrote in