How to tarnish a shinny tin building

Having just added on to a galvanized metal building, the new metal is a real contrast to the existing structure. Anyone know of an environmentally safe wash, that can be used to age the new galvanized metal for at least a little better match?

If not, any ideas on how to best prep the new and old metal for paint?

Reply to
Maxwell

jloomis

I thought of that too but wouldn't that leave it splotchy? I can't see how you could get if even.

Reply to
Glenn

..and then paint it quick or it will rust.

Reply to
CWatters

It's difficult to paint galvanised metal. Last time I tried it was like trying to paint a wax candle with water based paint. I tried to degrease it with different things but nothing worked.

Perhaps different things on some scraps...

Says it must weather for 6 months before painting...

CWatters

Painting won't last. Use a deglosser on it and leave it alone.

Robert Allison

Thats what aging is all about. The appearance is never regular, and it does have rust spots etc. I did an art project for an artist, and we used old tin to build a barn.

Reply to
jloomis

painting...

You can try salt water or hydrogen peroxide. If you are going to paint the galvanized metal it needs to be "etched" with a product that tin benders use to put on the metal before it gets painted. Vinegar might do the same thing. Experiment.

Reply to
Jack Hammer

Thanks for ALL the suggestions guys. I really appreciate it.

I have picked up a couple of Klean Strip products, Tri-sodium Phosphate Substitute and Phosphoric Prep & Etch. I plan to experiment with these and vinegar, hydrogen peroxide, and salt water as well. If anyone thinks of anything else, let me know. I'll be back in a week or so to let you know how they worked.

Reply to
Maxwell

Yogurt perhaps? Used for matching new and old roof tiles. Gets the bugs going..

CWatters

That's an unusual angle. Grow microbes!

Reply to
Maxwell