How to make SIPS or stress skin panels.

Has anyone here made their own stress skin panels?
I've just done a microgoogle and it appears you could glue a sheet of eps between osb, slip it into a vacuum bag and have yourself a SIP. Am I missing anything?
JP
Jay Pique wrote:

OK.
The big question:
Why do you want to do this?
Do you have something against manufactured SIPS?
Gus wrote:

No. I've just heard they're very expensive.
JP
> > Do you have something against manufactured SIPS?

I think quite the contrary, I looked VERY hard at using them for a new shop that goes up in about 3 more weeks.
After you factor in the labor savings since they go up so fast, the superior insulation qualities, and that you can just paint the inside in some locals, or put drywall on if that's required, you are pretty much done.
Locally I could NOT find a builder that knew what i was talking about, and especially one that would build with them. I received 4 quotes from manufactures, not one of them had a builder in my area.
I also wrote the www.sips.org, and never heard from a builder.
Alan
arw01 wrote:

In New Jersey, at Bull's Island Recreation area, they built a new Visitor Center from SIPS a couple of years ago.
Perhaps you could find out what builder they used?

I went and looked. It would be nice if someone referring to a relatively new product would call it by name the first reference to it instead of xyz or whatever.
BTW, I never got to the specs at that site because they asked for my agreement to a long list of crap and I left. I get enough spam. :)

Agree
I was wondering if they could be used to build a small and simple A frame?
think so?
arw01 wrote:

Yes, that's the appeal. I'm assuming those cost savings will ensue whether I buy them or build them myself. Is that a valid assumption?
JP

The engineering approvals, etc required for construction?
Lee Michaels wrote:

Isn't a SIP a SIP? Or does each individual brand need to be tested and sanctioned by some authority? That's a good question you ask.
JP

Here is how I did mine. http://www.asberry.net/home_building.htm
I have some scrap pieces that have exposed to the weather for nearly 6 years. The top side OSB still looks new. The side on the ground is moldy. The OSB the manufacturer used was from Weyerhaeuser. I think the glue must have been better than normal OSB. They had some in their office in a bucket of water. It had been there since 1987.
I'm not sure vacuum bagging would provide enough pressure. You would for sure have to bag them on a flat surface or you would cure in bows or twists.
I've been to the factory. They have a 24" press cavity. Any combination of 4", 6", 8", 10" or 12" can be pressed. From the time the first panel is glued they have 20 minutes to apply pressure.
--Andy Asberry recommends NewsGuy--
Andy Asberry wrote:

Thanks for the link, Andy. JP
Jay Pique wrote:

I got my SIPS from Murus in Mansfield PA, we had a lot of material remaining from door and window cut outs, that I kept and used to build a shed - mine were 1/2 OSB 6 1/2 polystyrene insulation and 1/2 drywall - they weren't used structurally, rather they enclosed a pole frame building.

wow I bet that shed was energy efficient! was it?
also... was the pole barn energy efficient as well?
do you live in this pole barn?
I was thinking Sips for insulated roof but was advised against it by the building inspector and architect. It's find when new but if you get slightly faulty panels with any air gaps or the panels aren't sealed tightly at the joins and then in a few years a leaky roof, water can get in but have no way to escape causing mold. In the end went with spray foam insulation instead, with an air gap above the foam and then the roof deck with shingles.
David
djenkins6 wrote:

If there's a high rate of "faulty panels", that's one thing - and I'd be all over the manufacturer. However, if someone installs them improperly, that's another. Water from the roof shouldn't even get near the SIP itself. That's an issue with the rest of your roofing system. (Or, more likely, with your roofer.) Is it possible they were talking about moisture from condensation?
JP
Dont make your own sips
geez sips are a pretty bad method of construction in my opinion you are basicaly building in the life of the structure. once the sips start to delaminate the whole structure should be torn down.
anyway I saw a factory that makes the sips pannels they are spray foam between the sheets the foam itself expands under presure and heat and is the glue.
they build foot thick ones for Alaska where a sip is really needed.
if you want to fill your walls with foam just stick build and hire a foam spray company
its just my opinion I dont like the stuff unless there is a serious reason.
bob www.yourepair.com

I've heard nothing but good things abt them
responding to http://www.homeownershub.com/woodworking/How-to-make-SIPS-or-stress-skin-panels-111253-.htm jmnpjn wrote: -------------------------------------
Very difficult to find info as most producers consider what they have as "propitiatory" lol. Give thought as to how you want the panels to tongue and groove together, research what foam is suited to sandwich between what medium you want. Doesn't have to be same on front and back sides. Come up with a jig to produce all panels the same +/- 1/16 inch. Not necessary to vacuum panels together tho that would be one way. stack and weight panels until cured or squeeze vertically.