How much floor tile to phyicall layout first?

I have about 415 sq. ft of bare concrete basement floor that I need to tile. Some areas do get a little moist at times. I'm saying this in case I am wrong already. I'm planning on thinsetting directly to it. Haven't even thought about cleaning, muriatic acid. There are 5 general areas that are connected throughout by tiles but are spaciated by partition walls, doors, and/or utilities. Before I get started I know a little about starting in doorways, etc, and pre-planning the layout. My question is about layout. I will probably use 12" tiles, not sure how the gap will affect the real space between as far as exact layout ends up, but I will have to think about where all the thresholds will be affected by all the others, since all my areas are connected. I am planning on using all the same tile, no colour or size differences. Any recommendations on type of tile so far. I will be thinking cheap, even presentation end of an aisle at HD cheap. I don't know nothing about the longevity, scratch resistance, etc. of such tiles

I can see all areas by standing in one spot, the max distance (and a full course passing through one doorway threshold) is about 26 feet, 19 feet in the perpendicular direction, also a full course passing through one doorway threshold. There are 2 other, well 2-1/2 other doorway thresholds to worry about.

MY Question: After I buy all the tiles, do I physically lay out at least one full course in all directions? To physically be in all the thresholds, get all the important variables understood in physical reality. Short of laying down the whole floor. I don't need to do that do I? I'm just asking. I may want to, who knows. Never laid a floor. I have screwed a tree though Then I mark a line to follow!? btw I do have a laser level and tripod I can use to assist.

Reply to
bent

The smaller the tile the greater the percentage of grout overall. Grout is quite porous, tiles much less so. If the floor gets wet smaller tiles will dry out faster than large ones. They'll also 'handle' a less-than-flat slab better.

Reply to
Michael Bulatovich

There is a good book called "Setting Tile" by Michael Byrne. It has been in print for awhile, but all the layout information is as valid as ever. He uses a few different methods. For small areas he pretty much lays out most of the tile dry. For larger areas he uses a layout stick, like a horizontal 'story board'. The book is readily available online. I bought a copy after a recommendation on this newsgroup, and certainly recommend it myself.

Reply to
DT