How do you maximize space with a gambrel roof?

For any who might be able to offer some advice... I'm interested in framing a gambrel roof on a building 28' wide, and am trying to avoid the constriction of space. In all the reading I have done, there appear to be three ways to create stability and structural strength in the roof, either used alone or together. One is to support the lower, steeper angles with verticals either under the purlins or as knee walls closer to the eaves. The second is to connect the purlins with collar beams. The third is to use engineered trusses. All of these reduce the open space on the second floor of the building, either restricting its width, or its height. For a building this wide (28'), is it possible to avoid these entirely? Before I get to financially invested in the project, I am just trying to see if such a thing is possible. Some refer to doing "rigid framing", in which each rafter joint is stabilized with extra material (plywood, metal plates?, etc.). Is this mechanically acceptable? Thanks in advance, Henry

Reply to
henry.glick